How long to keep fake eggs in nesting boxes?

Side40barn

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2022
I put fake eggs in 4 nesting boxes in new coop. Hens are laying. Do I keep them there? Or remove since they get the “message?” Are there any drawbacks in keeping them there all the time? Not looking to incubate eggs. I collect them in the morning and afternoon, whenever possible. Strictly for consumption. Does keeping fake eggs in there encourage unwanted broodiness?

Last edited:
I keep fake eggs in some of my coops all the time -- especially in those coops where I've seen evidence of egg-eating. I don't think it encourages broodiness. When Natures moves them to sit, my momma-wannabes will take up residence in a nest box, regardless of whether there are fake eggs or even nesting pads or material.

I've not only had the golf balls in the nests since I built the coop, I reused the same golf balls from the previous coop.

I only need to replace them because I've had a problem this year with blacksnakes getting in and eating both eggs and golf balls.

One reason I like using the golf balls is that I can tell them from eggs by touch when rummaging around under a broody.

I've not only had the golf balls in the nests since I built the coop, I reused the same golf balls from the previous coop.

I only need to replace them because I've had a problem this year with blacksnakes getting in and eating both eggs and golf balls.

One reason I like using the golf balls is that I can tell them from eggs by touch when rummaging around under a broody.
And she just lets you get all the feels up under her? New chick mamma here and the thought of the rummaging gives me the willies. :pop

And she just lets you get all the feels up under her? New chick mamma here and the thought of the rummaging gives me the willies. :pop

Depends on the bird.

Mocha, the Mottled Java, bites and will draw blood in defense of her nest if you don't know how to handle her (in the past 6 weeks I have twice declined to sell her to people who have young children who will be gathering eggs).

All the others so far just give me dirty looks and act offended. 🤣

x2 depends on the bird. None of my hens take and real offense (except when broody) if I check for eggs under them. Because I do it so frequently they're used to it and most will just stand a little bit, wait for me to finish, and sit right back down.

Back
Top Bottom