How long to keep fake eggs in nesting boxes?

Side40barn

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2022
I put fake eggs in 4 nesting boxes in new coop. Hens are laying. Do I keep them there? Or remove since they get the “message?” Are there any drawbacks in keeping them there all the time? Not looking to incubate eggs. I collect them in the morning and afternoon, whenever possible. Strictly for consumption. Does keeping fake eggs in there encourage unwanted broodiness?

Last edited:
I keep fake eggs in some of my coops all the time -- especially in those coops where I've seen evidence of egg-eating. I don't think it encourages broodiness. When Natures moves them to sit, my momma-wannabes will take up residence in a nest box, regardless of whether there are fake eggs or even nesting pads or material.

I've not only had the golf balls in the nests since I built the coop, I reused the same golf balls from the previous coop.

I only need to replace them because I've had a problem this year with blacksnakes getting in and eating both eggs and golf balls.

One reason I like using the golf balls is that I can tell them from eggs by touch when rummaging around under a broody.

And she just lets you get all the feels up under her? New chick mamma here and the thought of the rummaging gives me the willies. :pop
x2 depends on the bird. None of my hens take and real offense (except when broody) if I check for eggs under them. Because I do it so frequently they're used to it and most will just stand a little bit, wait for me to finish, and sit right back down.

And she just lets you get all the feels up under her? New chick mamma here and the thought of the rummaging gives me the willies. :pop

Depends on the bird.

Mocha, the Mottled Java, bites and will draw blood in defense of her nest if you don't know how to handle her (in the past 6 weeks I have twice declined to sell her to people who have young children who will be gathering eggs).

All the others so far just give me dirty looks and act offended. 🤣

I've not only had the golf balls in the nests since I built the coop, I reused the same golf balls from the previous coop.

I only need to replace them because I've had a problem this year with blacksnakes getting in and eating both eggs and golf balls.

One reason I like using the golf balls is that I can tell them from eggs by touch when rummaging around under a broody.

Back
Top Bottom