How long to keep inside house before putting out in run/coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EdistoChicks, Aug 6, 2010.

1. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    This is my second batch of babies. The first ones were gotten in March so they needed to stay in a brooder inside until 6 weeks. How many weeks should I keep them indoors in the summer? We live in SC where the temps can get pretty high. I was thinking I would wait until they are at least 3 weeks old. I have a orpington female that most likely will mother them. Thank you [​IMG]

2. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I live right below you in savannah and am interested in the answer as well. Hopefully I will be picking up some chicks this weekend! I have a chicken tractor made, and got some boxes for indoors. I'm not sure how little the babies are yet.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    they can go outside at 3 weeks. [​IMG] Be careful because other chickens normally take a while to get used to new flock members it would be terrible if they hurt one of your babies.

4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    My 5 Barren Rock chicks are now 5 weeks old. I have a coop and run built for them but they seem so small to be outside all the time. Last night we had severe storms, wind and rain so we kept them in. I plan for another week then out they go for good.

5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Id wait till they are four weeks. For some reason that has always been a requirement for my chicks.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I put mine out at 4 - 5 weeks.

7. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    One of the reasons I don't put mine out early is because we have many snakes around that would love to eat them at 3 weeks.

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Snakes almost took my whole flock. My .38 took care of em.

9. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    I've heard four weeks for a NC summer, so SC should be even warmer.

10. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I put mine outside at 3 weeks due to me getting 3x my original order and the brooder being too small for all my little fuzzy butts! They did very well and enjoyed the extra room they had. I did keep my 2 German Shepherds outside to keep the critters away from the coop. They are all alive and well at 7 weeks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by