How long to quarantine?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I bought two new chicks (Australorps) to keep my RIR company. Her companion was taken out of the coop and eaten two nights ago so she is now all alone. How long do I need to keep the two new ones apart before I can put them in with her? Is there anything I can do in the mean time so she isn't too lonely? I can't put her in with our other pullets because they peck her too much and keep her from the food/water. Thanks for any advice!

Everything I have read on hear says at least 30 days quarantine.
You can use the search option to see if you can find any different information. Just type in "quarantine" and see what pops up or either "introducing new chicks" might produce some results.

You could set her up with a mirror or a stuffed animal so that she has company. I've never done this myself but have read of several members using this method.

Dawn

Did they come from a hatchery or a private individual that provides chicks to the feedstore? If a hatchery, most likely they're okay without a real quarantine, but at that age, they need to be kept away from much larger birds for awhile.

They do come from a hatchery and I haven't had any issues so far with the other birds i've gotten from there. I am hopeful that my RIR will accept them, she is small for her age (about 9-10wks) though they are certainly smaller than her. I'll just have to keep a close eye on things for a while I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put my 12 week old Easter Egger pullet in with 25+ eight week olds. The other pullets ignored her adn the cockerels chased her like a tag team. After about 4-5 days, she was fine and now she's exerting some authority of her own over the younger ones. Good luck!

Edited to add: She is only slightly larger than the Welsummer cockerels, although she is a full month older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom