Where can I buy 1 baby chicken?

alevr

Chirping
Nov 25, 2021
Southern Texas
I recently acquired one baby chicken she was rescued from the neighborhood stray cats. I have a flock, but they are all older. I have decided to keep her, but I am worried about raising her alone and how she will later adjust to the flock. I read raising them alone causes problems when introducing to the flock. Where can I buy her a friend? I just want one more chicken. I cannot keep more than one more. Located in Southwest Texas.

Do you have local feed stores near you that sell chicks, like Tractor Supply, Rural King ? If you talk to one of the associates / managers there, tell them your story, they may let you purchase just one
How about adding Texas to your thread title to attract more locals to this thread?

Post in your state thread?

Local Craigslist and Facebook 'chicken' search?
You could also post a picture of your chic here for the cute factor. Just saying....🙂 I hope you find your little one a buddy to play with, all the best.. ♥️

Edited to add.... @TexasBlues can you add any insight being in Texas?

Last edited:
Above is good answer. If you are unable to find a chick. Then integrate with the adults ASAP.

My story:

Now I have a baby raising tote to raise them in the coop with a "mama hen heating pad" (found info on byc)
20240313_134153.jpg
The babies pictured are sitting on "mama".

Then: had a fox family make off with most of my birds just before a late blizzard (snow on the ground for 4 days in late may). Left with lead hen, 2 pullets and a cockerel, all but lead almost a year old. Ordered chick assortment for the next week.. fast forward. 1 cockerel in the bunch (good), they're in coop learning to live with adults. 6 weeks old, pullet goes broody, none are laying. Got a half dozen eggs from a friend. 1 hatches, rest were duds. Older chicks 9 weeks older (too big to work with the lone baby. When baby 3 weeks old, dogs attacked. They got 6 of the older babies, the broody mama and the rooster (last 2 now 13 months and the pair in my profile pic, he's on the ground not the steps behind him, btw). I now have lead hen, another just over a year old, a 12 week old cockerel, 7 pullets of the same age and a 3 week old broody raised chick who isn't fully feathered out. I gave her a heat source and started taming her, but left her with the flock. She's now stepped past the older birds and taken flock queen when the previous passed end of the summer.

My point: babies actually integrate better with adults when they're tiny (the learn the flock calls easier) and the older birds are more willing to look out for the baby.
20240310_144648.jpg
The babies can escape into the tote and still be seen.

At my local TSCs, there's a 4 chick minimum. If you have a Bomgaars (orschelin) near you, they don't have a minimum. Also, maybe check and see if there are any local fb chicken groups near you.

Back
Top Bottom