How long to rest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigredfeather, Aug 5, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    For those of you who buy shipped hatching eggs, how long do you let them rest before setting them in the bator?

2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I was told 8 hr. or more.

3. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    well it depends for me. if they sit at tyhe post ofice over night I dont let the sit. if I pick them up the day they arrive then I try to let them sit overnight. I always set at night because if I set durning the day I wanna open the bator... if I do it at night I wake to babies and I dont touch the eggs and open the bator repeatedly...

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I used to let them sit 5 or 6 hours, now I let them sit about a day before I put them in the incubator.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Have you noticed a higher hatch rate now that you let them rest longer?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've let them sit 24 hours, I've put them right in the bator.

For me at least, it made absolutely no difference.

7. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    I let mine sit for about 12 hours....that said I too like to put them in at night so sometimes it is longer. I have found that I have better hatch rates. I live at a higher elevation and it just stables them out.

8. At least 12 hours here. It's in the afternoon when we get them home, unwrap and let them sit over night before we put them in.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: