1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to use paper towels?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Meesh, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Hi,

My chicks are 3 weeks old & still brooded on newspaper and paper towels with some pine chips on top. Do they still need the paper towels? They sure like to dig it all up. Can I use just newspaper and pine chips? The new game is 'shred the newspaper' & run around peeping with the shred. [​IMG]

Also - they like to scratch & peck all of their chick starter out of the feeder. Do you wait until they eat most of it before refilling the feeder? I've just been refilling it, but there's a deep pile of feed around the feeder. Rotten little brats! Are there adult size feeders that spill less feed? Is it time for an upgrade? Their feeder is sitting on a board already.

Cheers,
    Michelle

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Take them out now. I only leave them in till they're all eating and drinking and know for sure what food is, then remove them. Yes, they waste a ton. Raise the feeder up to the height of their backs and it helps. Also, turn one of those cookie canister tops upside down under the feeder, then you can scoop some of it back up easier.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  3. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Thank you, Ma'am! Thanks for the cookie can tip, too.

Time for a nice brooder change before DH comes home!

Cheers,
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by