How long to use vitamin supplement in water?

ThomsonCentennialFarm

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Holliday, Missouri
My 16 CornishX chicks are 3 weeks old now, and have been on vitamin-supplemented water since the beginning. Should I keep supplementing their water until butcher in another 5 weeks or so, or is it not necessary?

They are out in a tractor now on grass/straw as well as eating a 20% poult grower. None show any leg problems and they actually all skitter around like a bunch of pinballs, so I'm guessing they're plenty healthy.

Thanks for reading and responding.

I keep unpasteurized ACV in the water for the electrolyte replacement for these meaties and I'll have it in the water all the way through. If you don't mind doing it and you already have it, why not just continue it?

Mine no longer have the typical CX liquid and stinking feces and aren't drinking a lot like they normally would, so it may be that I won't need that electrolyte replacement but I'm thinking why not? It's good for them and it doesn't cost me much to add it.

I used Sav a chick after recieving my meaties. Used it for two days, then stopped. The chicks were over any stress related to shipping, therefore it was not needed.
I equate electrolytes and vitimins to me drinking Gatorade all day because I'm thirsty. Wasteful.
Plenty of minerals and all needed material in thier food for them to convert into proper electrolyte balance without me.

Ah...but you aren't having constant, smelly, liquid diarrhea either, are you? If you were, your doctor would be recommending electrolyte replacement and probiotics in the form of yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

Ordinarily I would agree..and with any other kind of chicken I would.

But we are talking about CX, who have frequent diarrhea stools...one only has to look at the yellow, frothy consistency and smell the horrible smell to know these birds are constantly losing fluid and their bowels are stripped of good flora.

Anyone who has had diarrhea for just a few days knows how it depletes the electrolytes, weakens them and everything they eat just passes through them in a liquid stream. Whenever you are having liquid stools, you are losing more than just the liquid.

Ever wonder why these birds drink constantly? They are attempting to rehydrate but all the water they drink will not replenish the electrolytes lost in their constant diarrhea.

All the high pro, vitamin laced feed in the world doesn't help if it shoots straight through the animal and comes out onto the ground...ever wonder why so many people feeding their high pro feeds report high mortality in their CX? Guess the vitamins in the feed didn't quite stop those heart attacks...

One solution is to culture their bowels from the first day by giving UP/ACV in the water or fermented foods, thus restoring good bowel flora and function, allowing these birds to retain their nutrition and their liquid. Best solution.

If you aren't doing that, vitamins in the water is at least better than nothing at all. Maybe some of them will actually be absorbed before they come out the backside.

My 28 CXs are in the same pen as 8 layers, various breeds and same age. Nobody has "frothy yellow poo". Yet anyway.
As for me! If I were having diarrhea, and were able to stay hydrated I'd be fine. The fact that when people have diarrhea they lose their desire to hydrate and eat. And that causes problems.
If these meaties are having diarrhea because of a high fat high protein diet, then they are fine drinking huge amounts. Their kidneys and liver are processing foods at a high metabolic rate. Personnaly I feel that "gatorade" type supplements should be used if the animal is under stress.
But having a hopper full of food and an endless supply of clean water with no predation is not a stressful life.

Love the Einstein quote.

I give mine Broiler Booster in the water from start to finish. It is supposed to have supplemental nutrients these fast growing birds need. I do think it helps with the leg and other health problems to which the Cornish X are prone.

Back
Top Bottom