How long to wait for eggs?

MarsQuails

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2019
NY, USA
Hi everyone!

I started incubating some eggs the 7th of this month and could use some help!
It’s my first time hatching, and I got the Vivahome incubator from amazon and ordered a dozen celadon coturnix eggs. We ended up with 14, but two were cracked, so I set 12.
By lockdown, we were down to 4, which I expected and I think we ended up losing some eggs due to me not knowing to rest them before incubating.
I started lockdown on day 14, increased the humidity from around 40% to 65% and my temps were close to 100 degrees.

By day 16, we had one chick hatch out, but now we’re on day 19 and haven't seen any of the other three eggs try:hit
Our lone quail is doing just fine, I showed him where the food and water are and sometimes he calls for us to hold him, but I can tell he’s lonely.

At what point should we give up on the other eggs? I tried candling yesterday and could see their air pockets were slightly tilted, but the end of the egg was too dark to see if there was any movement, and they don’t seem to respond when we whistle at them.
I know 19 is around the day they should be hatching and our other came a couple days early, but I’ve read some posts that say if the others haven’t hatched in 24 hours after the first, they won’t? What day would you recommend waiting until, and are there any other methods for me to check if they’re alive without messing with their hatching?

Thank you!
Bonus pic of our little guy :love
F0BDEBE5-0BD6-4C84-93EF-B78BA4FC9E4F.jpeg

Thank you! I’ll wait that long and see!!
We’ve tried whistling near them, but haven’t gotten any response or movement. Another person on Facebook also told me we can try holding them up to our ear and listening for them moving, but nothing from that either....

I’ll update on day 21, fingers crossed we’ll have at least one more chick! :fl

Hi all!
So we’re currently on day 20. Yesterday, I candled and float tested them just to see how the results would come out.
Candle wise, I can’t tell anything. They’re all too dark to really see, but the air pocket is on the fat end and slightly shifted up the side. I thought this meant they were close to hatching, but maybe I was wrong?
I also floated them. Two ended up mostly bottom up, not entirely but definitely tilted that way. One ended up almost completely horizontal. Does this mean I have one that MIGHT hatch? None of them seemed to sway in the water on their own.

I went ahead and bought some couple week old chicks anyway, just because I figured our remaining wouldn’t hatch and our lone guy needs some family.
I’m still holding out hope though! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom