How long to wait...

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
I'm pretty sure that all my sex links are Roos. I have checked twice and on my order page, that I printed out immediately after I ordered, I purchased the red/gold sex links, pullets. In the email they sent me it says Black sex link pullets, but I believe somewhere there was a mix up and I was sent black sex link males.
hmm.png
They all have really large comb's already, and are feathering MUCH slower (at 3wks they don't have any tail feathers and are still mostly fuzz except the sides of their wings)

So, do I go ahead and find new homes for them, or wait? The longer I keep things the more attached I seem to get and I don't really know what I would do with 5 Roosters! I'm afraid if I keep them too long I won't be able to make myself get rid of them, which is why I have two Roosters right now.
lol.png

Have you contacted the hatchery where you got the chicks? I would take a picture of them and email it to them along with all the order information. They should be ready to send you new chicks or refund your money if in fact they made that big of mistake. Red sex link roos are usually white, black sex link roos will have a large irregular shaped white spot on their head. If you ordered red and they came black then the hatchery made a big mistake.

No, I haven't yet. When I first caught the red/black thing, at first I thought I had just made a mistake. But links I click turn purple for me, unclicked ones are blue. When I went back to their website, only the brown sex links was highlighted, not black.

here are some pics from today, three weeks old. I have 12 total, all the same age and NONE of the others have any type of comb showing. Everyone else has tons of feathers. These guys/gals are LOUD, bossy and I've seen several people say the slow feathering is usually a sure sign. So, IDK, what do you think?

005-3.jpg

007-4.jpg

008-2.jpg

010-1.jpg

The bad thing is that usually with alot of hatcheries you have to report the mistake at the PO when you recieve them and before you leave

I believe all sexlink males are a differant color than females. Those look like black sexlink pullets i have had. Perhaps they were out of the red-gold?

Quote:
I really hope you are right. Like I said, I get really attached to animals quickly and intended on having 12 hens that we would raise until they die one day, not rehoming some weeks after we got them. They just look SO different than any of the other hens. Black sex links are supposed to be crossed between RiR and BPRs but I have BPRs and another RiR cross (production reds) and both of those breeds have no visible comb, and I'd say twice as much feathers. It's really confusing since they look so different from the others.

Back
Top Bottom