1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hopalong, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Hopalong

Hopalong Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I set some French Black Copper Marans eggs under a broody hen 3 weeks ago (Friday 6/10). Saturday morning I found one perfect, fluffy little chickie under mama hen. This morning, mama is off the nest showing lone baby around the dog crate/nest box. There are 3 eggs left in the nest. How long do I wait before disposing of the remainder of eggs? Or has the broody hen already made that decision?

I should mention that they are ebay eggs and were in transit for 5 days (I frankly didn't expect any to hatch).

2. Hopalong

Hopalong Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Anyone?

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    if she's not setting them anymore they won't hatch. If she left the nest and you put them right in the incubator I'd say to give it 3 days to be sure (low temps can cause the eggs to hatch later). You can also put the egg up to your ear to see if you hear any "munching" sounds. That indicates an eminent pip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by