How long until a hen shows egg bound symptoms

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
My hen went in and out of the nesting box. She’s been laying medium sized eggs for a while now. She had suspected EYP although i’m not sure since she consistently laid eggs.

Today she went and came out an hour or two later with no egg or sign of egg. I’m pretty paranoid since my other hen is being treated for egg binding right now.

She has a big swollen belly that’s been there since she was young. I think it might be a fat pad (slightly squishy) or EYP tissue, and since she is a buff cochin she is around 8-9 pounds. She’s a big hen.

Do egg bound hens show symptoms the day they become egg bound? She is eating and acting regular right now. Just in case i gave her a small amount of calcium citrate like i’ve been giving my other hen.

If an egg is stuck, it's very uncomfortable. The first symptom a hen will show is lethargy, standing still in one spot. Occasionally, a hen that is egg bound will sit in a nest for a long period, an hour or two or more. But if she gets off the nest after that and behaves normally, interacting with the others, eating, drinking, she probably is not egg bound, but simply resting in the nest because she felt like taking a break.

If in doubt give the calcium. It can't hurt. But give enough where it will help, at least 330mg. The amount in one tablet is not the number on the front. It's in the small print on the back of the bottle if you're in the US. It's very misleading.

If an egg is stuck, it's very uncomfortable. The first symptom a hen will show is lethargy, standing still in one spot. Occasionally, a hen that is egg bound will sit in a nest for a long period, an hour or two or more. But if she gets off the nest after that and behaves normally, interacting with the others, eating, drinking, she probably is not egg bound, but simply resting in the nest because she felt like taking a break.

If in doubt give the calcium. It can't hurt. But give enough where it will help, at least 330mg. The amount in one tablet is not the number on the front. It's in the small print on the back of the bottle if you're in the US. It's very misleading.
Thanks! She was in the nesting box at around 12 today. Right now she is dustbathing and feisty when i try to give her the pill. Still eating and drinking, and no sign of discomfort. I gave her some of the pill and sent her off with her sisters. 🙂🙂

Back
Top Bottom