How long until an egg starts developing?

TAM Farm

Songster
Jul 4, 2018
Southern Oregon Coast
I have a hen that is thinking about becoming broody. She is sitting in eggs but running around partying during the day. She is still adding to her clutch daily.
I'm concerned about her setting on them during the night. Are they starting to develop at night and then dieing during the day? Is she not setting on them long enough for them to begin developing?

You should be collecting all the eggs until she starts sitting full time. This will not stop broody hormones from coming on. Leave fake eggs or ones you don't wanna hatch until she quits her daytime partying. Yes over night sitting is causing development if they are fertile. While normal sitting for an hour or so to lay isn't an issue.. I do think over night sitting and day time abandonment COULD cause some issues.

Well, I was gonna say what is your day time temp... but you being on the So OR coast is probably close to the same as me on the Nor Cal coast (practically neighbors :frow), I'm guessing 60's. :pop

Are you sure she is becoming broody and not just decided the nest box is a fantastic place to sleep and avoid roost time antics? I know many of my ladies do throw signals a few days before hand.

Also since she is adding to the clutch daily, it could cause staggered hatch. :confused:

Has she been broody before? How old is she?

You should be collecting all the eggs until she starts sitting full time. This will not stop broody hormones from coming on. Leave fake eggs or ones you don't wanna hatch until she quits her daytime partying. Yes over night sitting is causing development if they are fertile. While normal sitting for an hour or so to lay isn't an issue.. I do think over night sitting and day time abandonment COULD cause some issues.

Well, I was gonna say what is your day time temp... but you being on the So OR coast is probably close to the same as me on the Nor Cal coast (practically neighbors :frow), I'm guessing 60's. :pop

Are you sure she is becoming broody and not just decided the nest box is a fantastic place to sleep and avoid roost time antics? I know many of my ladies do throw signals a few days before hand.

Also since she is adding to the clutch daily, it could cause staggered hatch. :confused:

Has she been broody before? How old is she?
Hello Neighbor!
She is about 14 months. This is her first time. Yesterday she was all puffed up when she came in to eat so I think she is working on going broody. She is an English Rhoadbar from a breeder. Our temps are about 60 to 70 but her nest is always in the shade.

Did she ever settle down enough to set eggs under her? I have a broody but easily distracted 2 year old Buff Orpington right now. I think I've finally got her blocked off from enough distractions to get her to stay on her nest, but I'm worried about the eggs that she does have, if they'll keep developing or if she's killed them off.

Did she ever settle down enough to set eggs under her? I have a broody but easily distracted 2 year old Buff Orpington right now. I think I've finally got her blocked off from enough distractions to get her to stay on her nest, but I'm worried about the eggs that she does have, if they'll keep developing or if she's killed them off.
She did. I let her have two that I had left under her earlier. I am going to candle them tonight to see if her shenanigans killed the egg early on.

Back
Top Bottom