How long until grass is chem free?

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
Anyone have experience using a lawn care company (e.g. chemicals) and then stopping said service so your chickens can be on the grass? We used the service on our front yard last year - last treatment was Sept, but I’m done with chemicals. Just letting things grow as they grow and I want to start letting my girls out in the front in the spring (in their tractor).

Is that enough time for the garbage chemicals to be gone or should I wait until we’ve cut it a few times?

Good for you!!! When you say "treatment," do you have any idea what they did? I would think a good soaking winter would drive enough away for them to benefit. Certainly not if it was closer to September, but likely you're good! I have a half acre of lawn but I live on a River and I do give a crap about what can leach into the River as well as what my animals and my family for that matter are exposed to. So I "just said no" to chemicals so long ago that I think I actually never said yes. Wish everyone would care as you are!! Cheers!

Find out what products were used, and at least look up each products MSDS sheet. They are all available online, far as I know.
The regulations for having a property certified organic are very strict; I think it's years, but you can look that up also.
If you have painted structures on your property built before 1970 (?) there may be lead paint chips in the soil, so check that out before your birds eat those chips!
Mary

:goodpost:

Half life of any given chemical can likely be found on the MSDS, as well as useage rates. I'm not interested in becoming certified Organic, but it was two years for the grounds, last I checked.

Of course, depending on what's in your soil, the additions sprayed on top may not be your greatest concerns. Plenty of soil here in the US with naturally high levels of concerning things that weren't previous industrial sites (or near them). Also plenty of soils here in the US with rather low levels of nutrietns that your plants need - and if your plants dont get them, your chickens won't get them eating the plants.

Suggest calling your local ag extension office, ask if they do, or can recommend, soil sampling. Should be (relatively) inexpensive. I paid $20 for mine, a local university did it, but the Ag office handled sending off the samples, and helping to read the results after.

Good for you!!! When you say "treatment," do you have any idea what they did? I would think a good soaking winter would drive enough away for them to benefit. Certainly not if it was closer to September, but likely you're good! I have a half acre of lawn but I live on a River and I do give a crap about what can leach into the River as well as what my animals and my family for that matter are exposed to. So I "just said no" to chemicals so long ago that I think I actually never said yes. Wish everyone would care as you are!! Cheers!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then, when you know better, do better.“ (One of my favorite Maya Angelou quotes.)

Trying to break away from the things that had become so normalized growing up, but that are terrible for our bodies and environment (and pets!). Little by little…. And chickens love dandelions so I’m sure they’d be more than happy to be on weed control!

I’ll see if I can find the exact chemicals - it was TruGreen, so worst case, I’ll email them and have them send the list if it’s not obvious. Thank you for the support and response!!

:goodpost:

Half life of any given chemical can likely be found on the MSDS, as well as useage rates. I'm not interested in becoming certified Organic, but it was two years for the grounds, last I checked.

Of course, depending on what's in your soil, the additions sprayed on top may not be your greatest concerns. Plenty of soil here in the US with naturally high levels of concerning things that weren't previous industrial sites (or near them). Also plenty of soils here in the US with rather low levels of nutrietns that your plants need - and if your plants dont get them, your chickens won't get them eating the plants.

Suggest calling your local ag extension office, ask if they do, or can recommend, soil sampling. Should be (relatively) inexpensive. I paid $20 for mine, a local university did it, but the Ag office handled sending off the samples, and helping to read the results after.
Great advice! Definitely going to send a soil sample off - thank you!!

Find out what products were used, and at least look up each products MSDS sheet. They are all available online, far as I know.
The regulations for having a property certified organic are very strict; I think it's years, but you can look that up also.
If you have painted structures on your property built before 1970 (?) there may be lead paint chips in the soil, so check that out before your birds eat those chips!
Mary
We don’t sell our eggs - more worried about inadvertently poisoning my girls. I kept the lawn guys away from the back and side because that’s where my flock is (not that chemicals can’t travel with water, I guess) but the front had five treatments of whatever. I’ll look up the product list and send a soil sample out. Our house was built in the 70s when lead paint was still a thing, although it has been repainted. Definitely will make sure there aren't any chips, or I can keep their tractor out away from the house. We have an acre in the front so hopefully chips don’t travel that far… 😵‍💫

I cut our lawn service off last October, way before I started thinking about chickening. Mine will be in a run, but the run will partly be on that grass. I have asked my service multiple times about that because I have dogs that go in to my fenced back yard. I was told what they use is safe for animals. We have had tons of rain in N GA since the last treatment. So hoping I am good to go. Hope you don't have any issues.

Back
Top Bottom