How long until my LF Polish and Cochins start laying?

promiselandfarm5

Songster
13 Years
May 25, 2009
Rome, GA
We have Standard WCB Polishes and Partridge Cochins that are 30-35 wks old and still no eggs!!! How long until they start laying?

Thanks everyone
barnie.gif

The polish should be laying but sometimes cochins mature a little later than most breeds. In my experience my cochins didn't lay until 8-9 months. Laying has tons of things that factor in like stress levels, seasons, nutrition, and so on. Is there a possibility that you have their ages off a little? What are you feeding them? I really hate that most of the internet will tell you that chickens start laying at 20 weeks because in fact there are some that will lay before 20 weeks and quite a few breeds that mature a bit slower such as cochins and brahmas. Is there anyway you could post a picture of the birds for us to see their faces?

Nope, not off on the dates at all. We have had them since they hatched. We have 4 Polish and 4 Cochin pullets....none have laid. They are eating lots of veggies from the garden and laying crumbles.

I knew they would not lay at 20 wks (most of mine take/took longer except the Red Stars). I just thought by now we would have something from them. I am just thankful that I have lots of other chickens laying to somewhat keep me from going crazy.

Both breeds are actually my children's, so they are a little less patient than me.
roll.png

I will take some pics tomorrow when it is light again.

Laying schedules must be highly individualized because my littlest pullet- a red cochin was the first of my flock to lay at about 19 weeks. My other red cochin still hasn't laid after about 22 weeks. I figure each will lay when she's ready.

Back
Top Bottom