1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long until roosters reach maturity and hulk-out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cyberwuzzle, Sep 11, 2013.

1. cyberwuzzle

cyberwuzzle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Hi -- I have three pullets and four roosters right now. The Roos are still pretty young and the pullets are laying down the law, but I know that will change. I am getting ready to have surgery and need to get some stuff settled chicken-wise to make it easier on the caretakers during my recovery.

How long do I have before the Roos turn aggressive? I'm trying to figure out if I need to go to the extra expense of getting a separate coop as a bachelor's pad. I'm trying to rehome them, but I don't know if I can manage it before my surgery date.

I won't be back on my feet until the roosters are close to five months old. Will they have hulked out by then?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the will be experimenting with the hens at that age. seeing what they can get away with.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What breed are they? A lot of the small or light breeds seem to start being idiots at 3-3.5 months or so, that is what I usually use as my start to separate them out age. Big breeds usually mature slower, but by 5 months there is a good chance you're going to have problems with the boys, especially at that ratio.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd plan to either cull or separate the roosters before surgery. At 5 months, your pullets will have a pretty rough time of it, possibly physically damaged from being ganged up on by hormonal males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by