How long until roosters reach maturity and hulk-out

cyberwuzzle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Hi -- I have three pullets and four roosters right now. The Roos are still pretty young and the pullets are laying down the law, but I know that will change. I am getting ready to have surgery and need to get some stuff settled chicken-wise to make it easier on the caretakers during my recovery.

How long do I have before the Roos turn aggressive? I'm trying to figure out if I need to go to the extra expense of getting a separate coop as a bachelor's pad. I'm trying to rehome them, but I don't know if I can manage it before my surgery date.

I won't be back on my feet until the roosters are close to five months old. Will they have hulked out by then?

What breed are they? A lot of the small or light breeds seem to start being idiots at 3-3.5 months or so, that is what I usually use as my start to separate them out age. Big breeds usually mature slower, but by 5 months there is a good chance you're going to have problems with the boys, especially at that ratio.

I'd plan to either cull or separate the roosters before surgery. At 5 months, your pullets will have a pretty rough time of it, possibly physically damaged from being ganged up on by hormonal males.

Back
Top Bottom