How long until the ground is free from roundworm larvae?

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Pacific NW- where the Douglas Firs grow
My chickens just received the second dose of worming medication today for an infestation of roundworms, visible in the poo as dead worms.

Now I moved all the chickens to another run so that the first run can be washed clean by our rains. I want to put them back in after all the worm larvae hatch out and die. I know that after 10 days the new ones have hatched.

Do the larvae die quickly with no host?

But my question is, if I leave the run empty for a month, will there still be roundworm larvae in the soil? Is there any point in waiting a whole month rather than, say, a couple of weeks?

I did do a search on BYC and couldn't find the information.

Quote:
There wont be roundworm larva in the soil, they cant live outside the host as you stated. However, the soil is loaded with oocysts. You cant get rid of them. Additionally, some worm oocysts survive in soil for years.

Add DE to your feed daily and the chickens should be able to stay worm free no matter how many of those horrid things are lurking. We lived in SC where there were LOTS of worm issues and never had a worm problem in our birds. If you have just dewormed them they have a good start, the DE should keep them worm free. Just a thought. I wonder what the DE does to the oocysts? Be interested in finding out. Hope you can figure out what to do for your flock
rant.gif
don't the parasites and predators just make you fume sometimes?

Back
Top Bottom