How Long Until They Get Used to You?

jamiep1984

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
Hi all!

New to backyard chickens and we got our baby chicks 2 weeks ago. We handle them nearly daily for short stints (since we don’t want them to get cold) and sometimes they adjust and calm down a bit even fall asleep, other times, they just panic the whole time until we put them away.

It’s better with some breeds than others too— the naked necks and Easter eggers seem to be adjusting more but our polish, Houdan, and black crested Marans, not so much

Is there any way we can ease their fear of handling? We are very gentle and do our best to keep them warm. I’m wondering if it’s just too early to see much progress as they are only 2 weeks.

Thank you!

Hi all!

New to backyard chickens and we got our baby chicks 2 weeks ago. We handle them nearly daily for short stints (since we don’t want them to get cold) and sometimes they adjust and calm down a bit even fall asleep, other times, they just panic the whole time until we put them away.

It’s better with some breeds than others too— the naked necks and Easter eggers seem to be adjusting more but our polish, Houdan, and black crested Marans, not so much

Is there any way we can ease their fear of handling? We are very gentle and do our best to keep them warm. I’m wondering if it’s just too early to see much progress as they are only 2 weeks.

Thank you!
I have my chick's in a dog crate. The crate is on a table. While sitting on a chair I open the front door and I'm face to face with them. They see me and come running. If you are seeing them from the top and reaching in for them, you are a predator in their eyes. They will not like being picked up. Also, this is my 5th small flock in my brooder. These 8 babies are by far the calmest, sweetest and trusting babies ever. They are ISA Browns and Golden Comets. So sometimes the personality of the breeds are different. Hope this helps.

I also brood my chicks in a dog crate. On about second or third day, I get some of their food, wet it into a mash, and put a small glob in the palm of my hand. Then I sit next to the crate, with my hand in there, on the crate floor. I get comfortable, as I'll be waiting a while.

Eventually, one of the chicks will be brave enough to come see what is In Here On The Floor. And will get brave enough to Peck The Thing. And find food!!! Oh, hey look, everyone! This is tasty! Nom nom nom.

Then another one will try it. And another.

I do the same thing a few hours later, and again the next day. I talk to them softly while I do this, so they get used to the sound of my voice, and associate it with food.

Having your hand down on the floor is crucial. They are instinctively afraid of anything coming at them from above.

When they're all pecking the palm of your hand, it feels like getting tapped with a bunch of dull pencils.

I agree with the posts above. Food association and being at their level are key. I have had three groups of chickens now and around two months my first group would climb my back when I sat on the ground. Now as full grown roosters and hens, they'll still do it if I sit down in the grass. It's a lot about personalities, breeds, and patience.

I have a line of chickens on my arm. 4 out of 8
Lol I have a short arm.

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_220017070.jpg
    PXL_20230315_220017070.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230315_220212755.jpg
    PXL_20230315_220212755.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230315_220041054.jpg
    PXL_20230315_220041054.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 3
They chill out some once they start laying.

Something to remember is that chickens are a prey animal. Being approached from above, grabbed, and hands following it around the brooder are terrifying things.
With most chickens one must simply be content to have them following around the yard or messing up the garden doing chicken things.

They are much different then puppies and kitties.

I have a line of chickens on my arm. 4 out of 8
Lol I have a short arm.
I love it! One of the chicks does this with me already! The advice in this thread is definitely helping. I’ve just been hanging with them, letting them eat from my hand. A couple of them come to the door when they see me now :). Hopefully my more shy girls follow. My hope is that when they are older they will be comfortable with me. We have a big fenced yard for free ranging 🙂

Back
Top Bottom