How long untill the coons stop coming

bayside chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Hello to all , been visiting here for awhile , and recently bought some chicks and have had the usual coon problems , as I had NO idea how nasty and unforgiving these critters are.

We`ve lost some of our girls to them , and are doing everything to stop it from happening again (HOPEFULLY)!

I`ve been setting my live trap every night now , and have caught and killed 3 of them so far ( 2 BIG ones ).

How long do you think I`ll keep catching these guys? I don`t live in the sticks , but there ARE woods around me. I had no idea there were so many around.

I`m planning on ALWAYS keeping my trap baited and ready , but I`m wondering if they`ll ever stop coming around.

Thanks in advance , and I`m sorry if this has already been asked , but I didn`t find my answer using the search feature.

The answer my friend, unfortunately is, until they are all gone
hmm.png
If there is a group of coons in the area and they have discovered your birds, they will continue until all the "in the know" coons are gone.
hugs.gif
and good luck!

They will continue to come around until all the food is cleaned up. Three other ways of slowing them down, 1. get an outside dog, 2. put up a good electric fence, 3. put a radio in the coop. The radio should be on a talk show. Seems the human voices works better than music.

Well , I`ve been trappin em , killin em , baggin em , and trashin em...
D.gif

I`ve had some problems in the past with them getting in the trash cans , but that`s been some time ago.I use to put them on the "relocation plan" before I knew they could come back if not moved 10-20 miles away...now I don`t take that chance.
Seemed like if I caught one and moved it , I`d be good to go for awhile , but not now.

I`m not really happy about killing them , but it`s them or the girls
idunno.gif

They are in the locked up coop (now equipped with 1/2 in welded wire , instead of 1in welded wire!)all day , untill I get home , then locked up at night as well.

Well bayside, when the flow slows down and you`re not catching them as often, bait your trap with a couple whole eggs. Eggs are good for about a month and you don`t have to bait your trap every day. I used to live on a coon highway. For months I averaged 5-6 coons a week and on 3 occasions I had two coons in my trap at the same time. Then things would slow to 1 or 2 a week and sometimes I had a whole week of peace. I offer this timely tidbit.....Never leave a coon in the trap for a whole day. The others will become trap smart and wil not go near your trap. Sometimes they catch on sooner and you have to resort to extremities like The Recipe to save your flock. If you use all your resources and need The Recipe, just PM me and I`ll be glad to pass it along. Good luck.

Good info. I HAVE left them in for the day , so the kids weren`t around when I had to kill them. I use peanut butter for bait , so I don`t have to re-bait it unless the civic cat gets in there and cleans it out for me
rant.gif

I had an uncle that started feeding hot dogs and bread to the 2-3 coons that came around his house in the evening, within a few months he was going through 4-5 packages of hot dogs and 5-6 loaves of bread daily to the 30 or so coons that would come around. Point being, if there is food to be had 1 coon will tell 1 friend and that friend will tell 1 friend and so on and so on.....

Back
Top Bottom