How long will 30 chicks be comfy in a 16sq ft coop with a 80sq ft run?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelly G, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

My chicks are currently 3 and 4 weeks old, and are in my Lowe's Playhouse coop with a fenced-in/roofed-in run, and has hareware cloth burried 12" around the perimeter. They are as safe as they can possibly be in there.

The girls have bigger digs waiting for them....but the "big girl" run doesn't have a roof (it's 50'x50' and fenced in with 8' tall chain link fence) over it to protect them...so I want to wait as long as possible before I put them in there.

So how long do you think the 30 girls will be comfortable in a 16' coop with 80' run?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd guess by week 7 or 8 you'll be getting extremely cramped.

3. triplebfarm

triplebfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Sweetwater, Tennessee
    From what I have learned, you can comfortably keep 1 chicken per every 3 sq. ft. ....hope that helps!

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Why not just go by some mesh for the top of the new coop. I would worry about hawks, even if they were adults.

5. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I'm not sure how I can suspend wire across the 50'x50' expanse out there...but I have thought about it.

I have taken some precautions like Busch Gardens has done at their place - I have run fishing line about 18" apart across the top...and I've hung cd's from them as well - and so far my 5 big girls have been okay in there.

I'm listening, though, and am open to suggestions.

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    We built a frame like window frames except much larger and attached chicken wire to them. I have a 48x11 feet run with the top covered. You can also buy nylon bird netting and put it over a frame. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by