How long will a 50 lb bag last?

FowlLove

Songster
Oct 18, 2017
I have 8 (12 until a week ago) chickens all about 13 weeks old. They don’t get to free range but get whatever scraps we have. We just went through a 50 lb bag in about 3 weeks. :eek:Does that sound right?

I have 8 (12 until a week ago) chickens all about 13 weeks old. They don’t get to free range but get whatever scraps we have. We just went through a 50 lb bag in about 3 weeks. :eek:Does that sound right?
Yep. The average consumption of dry feed for laying birds is .25#/day.
If you want to stretch your feed budget and get more nutrition out of it, look up information on fermenting. I've been feeding fermented food from the day the chicks arrived and they are a very healthy bunch.
I feed about 0.15#/day of dry feed that is then fermented.

Sounds about right, I make sure my feeder is high enough for just there head to reach so they dont scratch any feed out onto the floor and waste any.

Depending on where you live, since its getting cold in most areas, I cut my feed with about 20% cracked corn. Helps keep the chickens warm and at around $8 a 50lb bag it helps on cost. As long as your still feeding them feed with a good amount of protein the cracked corn intake wont affect them any negatively.

Thanks guys! I was just making sure that I wasn’t wasting food. I think we aren’t gonna hang the feeder to prevent spills. Right now they are sitting a bit above the ground.

We have six hens almost seven months old, if I let them run the backyard they will only eat about half of the feed. I think they prefer grass, bugs and plants over their feed! As long as they're happy.

Back
Top Bottom