How long will a mother hen care for her chicks?

We put eggs under a broody cochin frizzle bantam.. She hatched them out and let them follow her for 5 weeks. Now she pecks at them when they come near her and she runs with the other chickens. At night they crawl into a nest under the heater and all sleep together. She is now roosting on top with the rest of the chicken. I was really worried until I just read this is normal... It seems so cruel to the babies..

This might seem like a funny questions, and I know that large hatcheries send chicks out as day olds but is there a period of time that the chicks SHOULD be left with their mommas? I will be acquiring three chicks this summer and it suddenly dawned on me that I don't know the best age to take them from the farm?

Cheers.

I have hatched my own chicks and ordered them. The younger you get them the better. They will be more friendly to you having them from little chicks. The chicks I hatch and let a mom raise vs the chicks I ordered and raised myself, they don't learn stuff any faster or slower either way. The big plus to letting a hen raise them is you don't have to deal with the fragile chick stage. Not sure if that answers your question or not >.< if you do get little new hatched chicks I would suggest life-lytes vitamin tablets for their water (keep a second plain water dish in so they have the option.) and some boiled / scrambled (unseasoned) eggs every few days at the start to give them a little extra boost. (Mash it very small and fine.) I have a hen that wouldn't be alive now if I hadn't been giving it too her. (Shipping was very hard on a few of my chicks)

I am facing just this problem right now. I have a broody that hatched her chicks a month ago. As of today she is fed up with them and is pecking them. So I have had to separate her from them. Will she be ok with them tonight or will this not work? I have a dilemna of where she shall sleep tonight as the other flock have not seen her for over two months?.

10 weeks my broody hen left her chikcs after 10 WEEKS all my hens leave after 10 weeks you have munch time dont listen to the others have raised them and they all LEAVe there chicks after 10 WEEKS.
but the hen will give two more days with the 10 WEEKS than levae her cHICK in the !0th weeks on 4th days there

I have a broody who hatched out chicks four weeks ago. How long should I expect her to mother them? When will she eventually kick them out of the nest?
My baby chicks have feathers and are 4 weeks old. Momma is getting antsy to get out with the other hens and rooster and she laid an egg today so I plan to let her go with them tomorrow.

I had a hen go broody a couple years ago. This was supposed to be a breed that didn't go broody. In any case there was no rooster and I kept taking the eggs. She defiantly kept sitting on an empty nest. Finally I found a few fertilized eggs she hatched. She was the happiest hen around. She never "weaned" them though and they kept crawling under her at night. She unexpectedly died a few months after they were hatched. Here is a photo of this poor mama.
I have a hen that was broody all summer. I also took all the eggs away early in the day and she would sit on an empty nest. I got some fertilized eggs and 2 hatched yesterday. She still wont let them out from under her wings. I am afraid she wont let them eat or drink. Sorry about your momma hen.

I had a hen go broody a couple years ago. This was supposed to be a breed that didn't go broody. In any case there was no rooster and I kept taking the eggs. She defiantly kept sitting on an empty nest. Finally I found a few fertilized eggs she hatched. She was the happiest hen around. She never "weaned" them though and they kept crawling under her at night. She unexpectedly died a few months after they were hatched. Here is a photo of this poor mama.

Back
Top Bottom