How long will adults typically peck at the chicks?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I'm integrating 5 week old chicks with my adult flock and have received great advice here. So far we've let the chicks out in the run with the adults where they have a place to keep to themselves. It's worked well. 3 of the hens will peck at the chicks when they get too close, the others don't seem to care, and none chase the chicks down. I haven't yet let them out inside the coop as there is less space to run around in there. I just realised though that I haven't really picked up on how long it is normal for the adults to peck at the chicks... Will this continue until they start laying or will it cool down sooner at some point? I haven't dared yet to leave them unattended although everything seems to run smoothly so far.

I'm still fairly new to chickens but have integrated younger birds a few times. My current youngsters were integrated at about the same age, and are now about 12 weeks old.

My adults are still pecking the chicks or chasing them away occasionally. The chicks learned very quickly to give the hens space. They are also much faster than the adults.

While it seems they are a sort of sub-flock My chicks have gotten a little braver in the past week or so. When they run, they are not as panicked. They will steal food from the hens and run off.

If it's over quickly and no adults are being unrelenting, you're probably in good shape. It seems the adults don't really accept younger birds until they start laying. Just like 40 year old me doesn't generally choose to hang out with a 15 year old.

If you're able to provide hiding places and things to jump up on it helps. Good luck!

I'm still fairly new to chickens but have integrated younger birds a few times. My current youngsters were integrated at about the same age, and are now about 12 weeks old.

My adults are still pecking the chicks or chasing them away occasionally. The chicks learned very quickly to give the hens space. They are also much faster than the adults.

While it seems they are a sort of sub-flock My chicks have gotten a little braver in the past week or so. When they run, they are not as panicked. They will steal food from the hens and run off.

If it's over quickly and no adults are being unrelenting, you're probably in good shape. It seems the adults don't really accept younger birds until they start laying. Just like 40 year old me doesn't generally choose to hang out with a 15 year old.

If you're able to provide hiding places and things to jump up on it helps. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply! Do they still have their separate place where they can withdraw at 12 weeks? This is what I'm pondering now as my next steps, how much space is needed depending on the development. Because the spaces I have set up for them now will become cramped eventually. Okay for getaways or naps, but maybe not to hang out for hours at a time.

I'm integrating 5 week old chicks with my adult flock and have received great advice here. So far we've let the chicks out in the run with the adults where they have a place to keep to themselves. It's worked well. 3 of the hens will peck at the chicks when they get too close, the others don't seem to care, and none chase the chicks down. I haven't yet let them out inside the coop as there is less space to run around in there. I just realised though that I haven't really picked up on how long it is normal for the adults to peck at the chicks... Will this continue until they start laying or will it cool down sooner at some point? I haven't dared yet to leave them unattended although everything seems to run smoothly so far.
As long as the adults aren’t chasing them the chicks should be ok just watch them closely the pecking will continue till there older and more mature but it will mellow down over time just the adults establishing the pecking order

Thank you for your reply! Do they still have their separate place where they can withdraw at 12 weeks? This is what I'm pondering now as my next steps, how much space is needed depending on the development. Because the spaces I have set up for them now will become cramped eventually. Okay for getaways or naps, but maybe not to hang out for hours at a time.
Yes, I've attached a pic of my redneck set up. The youngsters will retreat under the prefab coop, but just breaking line of sight seems to end conflicts. I've tried to make it so hens can't see every feeder at once. I would happily add more cover if I didn't rotate my chickens.

20220626_124219.jpg

How much room do you have in the coop? in the run? What does it look like? What does the space you have set up for them now look like? It's easier to answer questions if we know what you are working with. A photo can really help.

There are different ways to go about this. In general I let mine stay separate as much as I can, though I often move them into the same coop to sleep around 12 weeks of age. My 8' x 12' coop has a lot of room for the number of chicks and chickens I have so the chicks can avoid the adults in there. At night the adults sleep on the main roosts, the chicks sleep somewhere else. As long as it is predator safe and not in my nests I don't care where they sleep, they'll figure it out. When I go down there in the morning the juveniles are typically on the roosts while the adults are walking around below. Outside I have over 3,000 square feet available so they can stay well apart.

My pullets tend to stay apart until they start to lay. Then they merge. Each brood is different and each flock has its own dynamics which can change as the individuals of my flock change. Some years they intermingle a lot at a young age but usually they stay separate until they mature.

What I look for during the day is that they can avoid each other, whether that is when they are both outside or one group is outside and the other is in the coop. At night, can they sleep without getting picked on, either in the same coop or in separate coops.

Yes, I've attached a pic of my redneck set up. The youngsters will retreat under the prefab coop, but just breaking line of sight seems to end conflicts. I've tried to make it so hens can't see every feeder at once. I would happily add more cover if I didn't rotate my chickens.

View attachment 3165028
At what time will the new ones move into your main coop? I'm guessing they will at some point? I am able to set something like this up for the chicks instead of the rabbit cage they live in now in the main coop. I'm wondering if it is easier to keep them sleeping separate for peace of mind, just then I'm not sure how and when to merge them! :) My plan was to at some point open the cage so they can go in and out without the hens getting in, but I don't feel comfortable doing this until I'm fairly certain the chicks can manage.

How much room do you have in the coop? in the run? What does it look like? What does the space you have set up for them now look like? It's easier to answer questions if we know what you are working with. A photo can really help.

There are different ways to go about this. In general I let mine stay separate as much as I can, though I often move them into the same coop to sleep around 12 weeks of age. My 8' x 12' coop has a lot of room for the number of chicks and chickens I have so the chicks can avoid the adults in there. At night the adults sleep on the main roosts, the chicks sleep somewhere else. As long as it is predator safe and not in my nests I don't care where they sleep, they'll figure it out. When I go down there in the morning the juveniles are typically on the roosts while the adults are walking around below. Outside I have over 3,000 square feet available so they can stay well apart.

My pullets tend to stay apart until they start to lay. Then they merge. Each brood is different and each flock has its own dynamics which can change as the individuals of my flock change. Some years they intermingle a lot at a young age but usually they stay separate until they mature.

What I look for during the day is that they can avoid each other, whether that is when they are both outside or one group is outside and the other is in the coop. At night, can they sleep without getting picked on, either in the same coop or in separate coops.
The coop is considerably smaller than yours, but the chicks sleep in there now inside a rabbit cage that I keep closed. I've also put up a cardboard box with a hole in it on the other end of the coop so they can find refuge on both ends when it comes to that. The run is large and technically can be expanded as needed. I have a permanent run as well as a movable fence that I move around so they always have fresh grass available. During the daytime I move the chicks out to another rabbit cage outside in the movable run (I only use the rabbit cage tops in both setups so they have contact with the ground/floor). I've set this cage up with food/water and shade, and have made a small door where they can get out but the adults can't get it. This is where I've let them together so far. The chicks will venture out but usually not very far from the cage and will be quick to run back in again if an adult pecks at them. We are only on day two of doing this.

I do have a small coop that I can place inside this movable run and have the chicks sleep there instead. Personally I was just hoping to get around this step, though I'd take that route if I don't feel fairly safe the chicks will be okay.

At what time will the new ones move into your main coop? I'm guessing they will at some point? I am able to set something like this up for the chicks instead of the rabbit cage they live in now in the main coop. I'm wondering if it is easier to keep them sleeping separate for peace of mind, just then I'm not sure how and when to merge them! :) My plan was to at some point open the cage so they can go in and out without the hens getting in, but I don't feel comfortable doing this until I'm fairly certain the chicks can manage.
All my birds will be in 1 coop once we finish building. I'm confident they are coexisting peacefully enough.

Back
Top Bottom