How long will adults typically peck at the chicks?

The adults just want their personal space as long as they are chasing the chicks down it's perfectly normal and will continue into adulthood. It's no different then when someone gets in your personal space right up next to you and you take a couple steps back or tell them that they're too close.

I think I'd keep doing what you are doing for a few more days (maybe until next weekend), then instead of moving them outside for the day just fix their door on the inside rabbit cage where they can come and go as they please but the adults can't and let them find their way outside from there. See where and how they put themselves to bed.

Thank you for your reply! Do they still have their separate place where they can withdraw at 12 weeks? This is what I'm pondering now as my next steps, how much space is needed depending on the development. Because the spaces I have set up for them now will become cramped eventually. Okay for getaways or naps, but maybe not to hang out for hours at a time.
Lots of variables in each case as obviously everyone's flocks and set ups and even each batch of chicks are different, but my chicks lose access to the brooder (and chick doors) once they're moved into the coop for night time (I cage them inside the coop until they voluntarily go to roost), which is around 4 weeks old.

Previous to that they've been in the run with the flock for about 2 weeks, with 2 weeks of see but no touch before that.

They lose access to their "alternate" escape route (basically, my chain link fence that divides the run) around 7-8 weeks as they get too big, but by that point they've found plenty of alternate getaway spots if they need to put some distance between them and a hen.

The coop is considerably smaller than yours, but the chicks sleep in there now inside a rabbit cage that I keep closed. I've also put up a cardboard box with a hole in it on the other end of the coop so they can find refuge on both ends when it comes to that. The run is large and technically can be expanded as needed. I have a permanent run as well as a movable fence that I move around so they always have fresh grass available. During the daytime I move the chicks out to another rabbit cage outside in the movable run (I only use the rabbit cage tops in both setups so they have contact with the ground/floor). I've set this cage up with food/water and shade, and have made a small door where they can get out but the adults can't get it. This is where I've let them together so far. The chicks will venture out but usually not very far from the cage and will be quick to run back in again if an adult pecks at them. We are only on day two of doing this.

I do have a small coop that I can place inside this movable run and have the chicks sleep there instead. Personally I was just hoping to get around this step, though I'd take that route if I don't feel fairly safe the chicks will be okay.
I love the care and concern you show for your babies♥️ I’m going through the exact same thing right now and look forward to when I don’t have to worry about my last 2 babies being picked on😰

Thank you for your reply! Do they still have their separate place where they can withdraw at 12 weeks? This is what I'm pondering now as my next steps, how much space is needed depending on the development. Because the spaces I have set up for them now will become cramped eventually. Okay for getaways or naps, but maybe not to hang out for hours at a time.
We brooded in the run. At 4 weeks we opened little chick size doors. The chicks came out at their pace. By 7 weeks we had removed the HW cloth & roof from the brooder which meant the hens could get into it. The chicks remain a sub flock at almost 12 weeks old. I am not sure when they moved themselves into the Coop. I found them a few times sleeping in the nest boxes. Just moved them out and they got the hint. They are now sleeping on the roost. They sleep on one side and the hens on the other. We are back to one feed and one water station. All seems to be going well.

coop.JPG

Back
Top Bottom