1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will it take

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ashley12, May 4, 2009.

1. ashley12

ashley12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    I got my chickens about a week ago, and they are not laying. The guy I bought them off of had them in a small cage, just enough room to turn around. Although my coop and run are kinda small, it is like a mansion to them. The first night they slept on the floor, the second night on the lower roost. Now they roost on the highest one. My nesting boxes are a foot off the ground. At first they didn't have anything to do with them, but now I can tell they at least get in them. I put a golf ball in one and they just push it out. Everyone I talk to just tells me to give them time, but I'm not a patient person. Am I looking at 2 weeks?......A month??? I don't have any idea. I finally talked my wife into getting chickens on account of the fresh eggs, but after a week, nothing!! Now I'm starting to think that this was a bad Idea.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    No--I think your fine, I does take the some time adjust, have patience! Good luck:)

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes people report they start almost right away, but these birds obviously have some major life adjustments to make. They'll get there. They're probably still afraid they're going to wake up in those cages again. And, good for you for the rescue.

4. ashley12

ashley12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info.... I'm gonna be sooooooo proud when I FINALLY get an egg. [​IMG] Whenever that may be.

5. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    3 weeks ago I purchased a hen that was just under one year old and she still isn't laying. I'm trying to be patient as well! [​IMG]

Bil

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I am not patient either. I got my first egg about an hour ago! It was under the nesting boxes. I just boiled some eggs and marked them. waiting for them to cool then Im going to stick them in the nests and see if that helps. I will let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by