How long will Momma mother her babies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the1honeycomb, Sep 4, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    how long after a hen raises her chicks before she starts laying again? and how often can they go broody?? I have 2 hens that have gone broody in the past on has 2 chicks that are about 6weeks old. would like to get some more chicks any ideas. please PM me I can never find the same spot again

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends on the individual hen. All of my salmon faverolles give up mothering around the four week old mark. My silkie Jethro mothers for four months, lays a couple of eggs, goes broody again.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My game hens cluck to chicks for 4 to 6 weeks. They still tend chicks, sometimes for as long 12 weeks, but once clucking stops, especially when hen is in good condition, egg laying can resume and she will begin brooding new clutch once enough eggs present. Bigger broods (more chicks) seem to increase time after clucking stops before egg laying resumes.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    my bantum cochin frizzle lasted about 4 weeks. She adopted a silkie and a full size cochin. the baby cochin was ready at 4 weeks, the silkie would cry at night. we had to place her on the perch next to her sister for a few nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by