How long will my chicken eggs last

shine389

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 15, 2012
USA, Pittsburgh PA 15209
I have read all kinds of info about this, but would really like a definitive answer. Today I hard boiled some, and when I put them in the pot, two floated, which everyone says they are too old. I cracked them open and they seem fine. How old is “too” old? I store mine in the fridge 1 day after they are layed.

ty
gloria

Fresh eggs stored in the refrigerator can last 3 months or more before they lose too much moisture, or they start to take on the fridge flavors. I personally don't understand the float test. Eggs are porous. Submerging them in water can force bacteria into them, especially if the water is colder than the eggs.

Water slowly evaporates out of eggs as they sit, that's why they say old eggs will float because water is replaced with air.

Float test only tells you that an egg is older, not that it's good or bad for eating.

In preparation for winter I start storing up eggs in fall. So eggs from Oct 1st on, are saved in hopes that I can make it to Jan/Feb without buying any, so we're eating eggs as old as 3, 4 months. Never had issue. I've always fallen short with the number of eggs saved up, so might move it back to mid-Sept now.

Back
Top Bottom