How long will they lay??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Lil, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Okay, I'm a newbie so this might seem like a dumb question, but....

I have two Lehorn hens that have each laid an egg a day for ten weeks now. Seems like a lot, not that I'm complaining [​IMG] , but how long do they usually lay for? Is this steak of laying every day common when they first start?

I was amazed because everything I read made me think they would start with a few here and there and only get to about five a week. Instead the started withen three days of each other and not once have they missed a day. Do you think this could last awhile?

2. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

The "five a week" is an average including when they stop laying to molt, and/or when there is not much daylight in the winter time.

Save some eggs from the summer for the fall. Fresh eggs can keep up to 6 months in the refrigerator.

Over a chicken's lifetime, the production will go down.
  3. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My leghorns usually lay like crazy for 2 years then after that they slow down I didn't have the guts to cull so I kept them I get eggs once in awhile but I incubate those. [​IMG] By the way mines started to lay around 4 months old which for me was a big plus. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by