How long would it take to go through a 50 lb bag with 3 Serama hens?

ChickenLover5912

Chirping
Feb 21, 2018
i might be getting 3 Serama hens tomorrow and I was wondering how long a 50 lb bag would last me? They’ll be free ranging for about an hour in the morning and at least an hour in the afternoon and I plan on giving as many scraps as I can.

As long as you keep it in a cool place, and make sure it doesn't get any water in it, it should go quite a long time without spoiling. But then again it might go stale.

Let us just say that your Serama's won't be going hungry anytime soon ;)

A forty pound bag of layers pellets lasts as little as five and a half weeks in the middle of winter, to ten weeks in summer for five Golden Comets.
I keep the feed in my house till I need to refill my twelve pound feeder. Then I only empty half a bag into a six gallon galvanized can, in the storage area of my coop. I keep the bag of feed tightly closed with a bag clip (oxygen is bad, I get as much air out of bag) in the coolest room of my house. 20171028_151531.jpg I always look for the freshest feed when I purchase. I have fed feed up to five months old by the time it was gone, with no ill effects or loss of egg production. Feed has Preservatives to keep it fresh, 20180219_081530.jpg but only if kept at room temperature and dry.
With only three chickens, I would suggest buying a 20/25 pound bag of feed. Like a non-medicated Start and Grow 18% Protein, (available at my local TSC) with Oyster Shell in a separate container. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom