How loud are female ducks really?

Roosterboy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
How loud are female ducks? Preferably, how loud are runners, cayugas, and muscovies?
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
i can't spell

Can't answer about the others, but my female runner isn't near as loud as my Rouens are. She is fairly quiet compared to them, but still loud enough to hear from 100 feet or so away.

With any of the mallard derrived duck breeds the females have a loud quack.
Muscovies are a totally different species and do not quack, they mainly hiss, but the famels do make some very low volume squeals and quacking like sounds when distressed.

Pekins - LOUD!!! They are louder than my chickens. And I have 12 chickens and only 3 female Pekin ducks.

I know you didnt ask about Pekins... but I had to chime in.
I heard that Call Ducks are loud too.

And I have heard that Muscovies are quiet.

In my experience:

Pekin's are very loud when they want to be though probably not as loud as a rooster they do call alot more frequently (especialy when food is around, or they see you, or there taking a bath or there......)

Runners are loud but not nearly as loud as Pekins though they seem to come to associate humans with food realy quickly and like to let you know there hungry (we had one female Runner for 2 weeks and she was ver talkative.)

Khaki Campbell's (though you were not asking about them) are fairly quiet, they do have a deep loud quack when they want to but seem to seldome use it and prefer to make reasonably quiet almost duckling like sounds (though there still deeper in voice and louder than Cayugas)

Cayugas are very very quiet though they still have a loud quack it is more on par with a wild mallard hen and generaly given a lot less frequently. When two females are "fighting" over a drake though they can be talkative but generaly they just make small almost duckling like noises even when your coming to give them food. Generaly the hens seem to be quieter than the drakes when there making these type of noises.

Muscovies are as everyone has said very quiet and you would not ever hear them unless you were basicaly standing beside them.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom