1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How loud are the different breeds of roosters from quietest to loudest

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kees, Oct 18, 2008.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Can you rate your roosters crowing from the quietest to the loudest?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i had a silkie rooster once who would crow so loud (and so long) that he had to be rehomed to a 300 acre farm. Even with that, his new owner commented on what a loud alarm clock he was.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    my bantam black rosecomb is dear. He calls his babies over for food....so sweet and my neighbors keep asking me what that other noise is. They hear one loud crow -my bantam cochin(still not as loud as a standar sized) and one little noise that sounds like something they've never hear.

It's kinda like...a-ooo-wa and that's it!! But he sticks his chest waaay out says it with such conviction [​IMG]

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Our banties are loud. Maybe not as loud as the standards but the standards do not crow at all hours of the day and night. I get up in the middle of the night and low and behold they ar crowing out there in the dark. Thank goodness we are out in the sticks. Our closest neighbor is my daughter so I don't have to worry lol I never knew banties were that noisy. I love the way our standard barred cochin crows. He does the cockle doodle doo but the doo is dragged out really long. The first time i heard it a week or so ago (hes only 24 weeks) I had to stop and watch to see who it was.

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Dont know about loudness but the difference in the pitch, usually the bigger the rooster the lower pitch, my seramas are just little squeakers, but I would not call it quiet!

6. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    :cafDoes the size of the chicken necessarily mean that it will be have a quieter crow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by