1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How loud does a quail crow ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PunkerTechnoRoo?ter, Feb 22, 2009.

1. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    Im from Georgia land of quail and bobwhites etc etc but how loud is a quail crow ?

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    At 2am it is too loud LOL. I am not sure what to compare it to I would say it is a call that is something I can hear anywhere in the house but not loud like a big parrot. Hope that helps. Maybe someone can put it better. Sorry wish I could help more

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Not nearly as loud as a rooster. We have had both male quail in our garage and roosters and the rooster will always wake us up but the quail never did.

4. merry hens

merry hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Quote:I agree, when youre trying to sleep, its horrendously loud and very annoying. Otherwise, most people I know (myself included) think they sound very pleasant. Not as loud as a rooster, and much more musical. I like hearing quail crow.

5. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    When you just have a few, especially many more females than males, then the crowing is few and far between and not at all annoying. BUT, if you have 30 young males together and it is Spring and no hens around, you have got another story! They are loud and annoying! And they will will crow all during the night non-stop!

But, then again, it is all in where you live and how close you are to neighbors .......... And if you have a sound machine by your bed to drown out all of the noise.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I agree- When I had 4 males and 3 females while I was growing them out, the males would call almost constantly. Now that I ate 3 of the males, the remaining male keeps pretty quiet.

7. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

my quail crowed like no tomorrow when they were reaching full maturaty.. but now they hardly ever crow, as long as he has his girls and food and water hes happy.. and he dosnt have any other males to contend with

8. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Quote:I think I'd shut my yap too LOL

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I think I'd shut my yap too LOL

[​IMG]

10. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

As a related question, can you keep quail with other animals? For example, would you keep quail in the same room as rabbits?? Or would it disrupt the bunnies too much???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by