How loud is one Peafowl raised from a chick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None. They're all quite noisy with a high-pitched call.
Actually there are studies showing that there are varieties that are quieter then others.
The Anglicus Blanque varieties are so quiet even when in huge flocks they seem to know proper etiquette and are not loud at all.
There is another variety.. the Urbanis Congo that seems to be loud no matter what they do or where they flock.

Actually there are studies showing that there are varieties that are quieter then others.
The Anglicus Blanque varieties are so quiet even when in huge flocks they seem to know proper etiquette and are not loud at all.
There is another variety.. the Urbanis Congo that seems to be loud mo matter what they do or where they flock.
*meaningful stare*
Peacocks are loud. They don't make good apartment pets.
But thank you for the info. :)

I wanted a guinea but people say they make a sharp screeching sound.
I have a flock of 16 guineas...they can get quite loud when their all screeching at the same time 🤣

As for raising a lone peachick, I do NOT reccommend it. Males can get "berserk male syndrome" which is very dangerous for the bird and the owner.

Quote: BERSERK MALE SYNDROME: Be wary of getting too friendly with your peafowl. Feeding them from your fingers, holding and cuddling chicks, and trying to pet older birds can set you up for injury or tragedy. Males are especially prone to develop an unhealthy, too-aggressive attitude towards people during their "teenage" period, from 6 months to 2 years old, if treated with too much familiarity. Females can become mean, too, but are less of a danger because they lack sharp spurs at maturity. Between 6 months and 2 years of age, look but don't touch. Let the flock teach the youngsters proper manners. Berserk Male Syndrome CANNOT be cured. For your own and others' safety, dangerous males must be killed.
(https://starshine-ranch.com/PeaCare.htm <--- article)

I agree. I'd rather have a bird as a pet than having a child. A child is cute at five, but they have tendencies to revolt and rebel as teenagers and can end up in trouble.
And raising birds is like raising a bunch of toddlers. They are loud, rambunctious, get into trouble all on their own -- two of my birds tried to hang themselves by their feet the other day -- and scream all day and sometimes into the night. They are four-year-olds with wings, tiny brains, the volume of two open pianos being slammed, and hormones.
Lots and lots of hormones.
Birds will attempt to hump their owners, be it the foot or the knee or the shoulder. I would assume that having a peacock attempting that on you is not something that you want, but I really shouldn't assume anything these days.

I have a flock of 16 guineas...they can get quite loud when their all screeching at the same time 🤣

As for raising a lone peachick, I do NOT reccommend it. Males can get "berserk male syndrome" which is very dangerous for the bird and the owner.

Quote: BERSERK MALE SYNDROME: Be wary of getting too friendly with your peafowl. Feeding them from your fingers, holding and cuddling chicks, and trying to pet older birds can set you up for injury or tragedy. Males are especially prone to develop an unhealthy, too-aggressive attitude towards people during their "teenage" period, from 6 months to 2 years old, if treated with too much familiarity. Females can become mean, too, but are less of a danger because they lack sharp spurs at maturity. Between 6 months and 2 years of age, look but don't touch. Let the flock teach the youngsters proper manners. Berserk Male Syndrome CANNOT be cured. For your own and others' safety, dangerous males must be killed.
(https://starshine-ranch.com/PeaCare.htm <--- article)
https://pethelpful.com/birds/Am-I-Allowed-to-Keep-a-Pet-Peacock here is another great article

And raising birds is like raising a bunch of toddlers. They are loud, rambunctious, get into trouble all on their own -- two of my birds tried to hang themselves by their feet the other day -- and scream all day and sometimes into the night. They are four-year-olds with wings, tiny brains, the volume of two open pianos being slammed, and hormones.
Lots and lots of hormones.
Birds will attempt to hump their owners, be it the foot or the knee or the shoulder. I would assume that having a peacock attempting that on you is not something that you want, but I really shouldn't assume anything these days.
So let me get this straight - birds in general act like immature and spoiled 15 year old who complain that their parents wont buy them a BMW motorcyle for their birthday.

So let me get this straight - birds in general act like immature and spoiled 15 year old who complain that their parents wont buy them a BMW motorcyle for their birthday.
No they act like a 3 year old that throws themselves down on the floor because you won't let them touch the fan blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom