How low can temp go while bators open to turn eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by favoritekitty, Mar 13, 2009.

1. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Today is only day 2 on our eggs but every time I open the incubator the temp goes to 95ish degrees. How low can the temperature get while turning the eggs safely?

Obviously the humidity also goes way down for a few minutes. I have only turned the eggs twice today because the temp never goes back to 99.5 and the humidity never goes back to where it was either. I just turned them and after rewetting the little sponge in there the temp spiked to 100 and only came down after I took out a plug.

I dont think I can BE any faster when I turn these eggs. I even have another set of hands helping me turn these 24 eggs.

I will NEVER do this again. I cant believe how much energy it takes out of my body and how stressed I get caring for them and it has only been two days [​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mom hen will get off the nest for up to 1 hr and sometimes a couple times a day. So that little dip in temp if just fine

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:A momma hen gets up off her nest of eggs for 20 or 30 minutes at a time. Your temps and humidity will do just fine while you turn the eggs, coming back up to normal within an hour or so. Don't worry, it's okay. [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I wouldn't stress over it, really....
    so much focus and stress is so completely unnecessary, just get it done and don't worry about it. Hens leave the nest to get food/drinks. I open my bator to turn 3x a day and have no problems. The actual temp in the egg takes quite a while to drop...
    good luck [​IMG]

5. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    I am not experienced by any means but I am currenlty incubating goose eggs. I foudn that after adding water my temp would spike also and I figured out it was because I was adding what I thought was normal warm water..but most likely was warmer than the incubator...so I started using my wrist to measure the tap water temp. After reducing the temperature of the water I added sometimes the incubator temp stays the same or sometimes it takes a while to get back up to normal temp...I know some people put the bottle of water in the incubator so its the same temp as the incubator.

Also I take off the lid to turn..although I only have 2 eggs in there, but for chickens, I don't know much about them, but don't they get off the nest to eat and stuff?? if so, then the small amount of time to turn the eggs I would presume, wouldn't hurt...but again I am doing goose eggs...and I don't relaly have much incubating experience...so maybe someone has a better answer. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  6. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Are you serious!! I have been stressed for two days thinking that everyone is already dead because the temperature dropped so much and the MOM gets to walk around for an HOUR?

[​IMG]

(thank you for making me feel a little better guys [​IMG] )

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by