How many are breeding for Blue Australorps here in America?

She appears to have Andalusian dominating her characters over Australorp. These are the traits in comparison:
High pinched tail vs. 40 degree fanned tail with the appearance of a teepee from the rear view.
Narrow body vs. full, large, robust, wide, body
Tall spindly comb vs. shorter closer to the head comb
Blue or white earlobes vs. red earlobs.

To get all the exact traits and characters that Australorps have, look into the A.P.A. "Standard of Perfection" and all the answers are there.
Since the Blues have not bee accepted yet, the standard will work for everything except the color which you can find under Blue Orpingtons, as they are virtually the same and come from nearly the same gene pool(they are the closest relative).

We developed the Blue Australorp here in America when no one even knew what they were, many folks go the fast and easy route by breeding any blue chicken and then calling them "Blue", that is not the correct procedure and all that happens is they produce a mixed breed and no where near purebred standards required by the A.P.A.

Enjoy your birds no matter what they may be............its a hobby! and we love our feathered family!

Howdy, Im going to be honest and not candy coat anything if you are serious about the quality of your birds. If you are looking to breed Blue Australorps, you want to be serious about your breeding stock if you are just starting out.
firstly, look at the leg coloring......no yellow allowed, Should be anywhere from Black to dark slate and light slate at older ages.
Bottoms of feet and skin should be white to pinkish white...........no yellow allowed.
The tail should be raised to no more than a 40 degree angle and should fan out like a teepee from the rear view, what you have is a narrow or pinched tail that is nearly 90 degrees or called "Squirrel Tail'.
Consult the A.P.A. for the characteristics and traits of the body under Black Australorp and for coloring go to Blue Orpington.

You are on the right track, good luck with your "Blues"
Have fun....its a hobby!

Howdy, I took a peek at your blacks...............Nice! A good foundation to start creating Blues, if you are interested in that.
Here is our site, click on the photo section at the top left corner of the page and see what weve been doing since 2006.
http://huppfarm.wikifoundry.com/

We have improved our stock greatly since those photos were taken!

Have a great day!

Here are my Andalucians. I got them here in Andalucia, a region in southern Spain.

Melissa,
Here are my Blue Orpington/Black Australorp mixed breed birds. I've taken a break due to space and time, sold my rooster. I still have my big Bertha, the pullet. You can still clearly see the Orpington influence in this F1 generation but it is better to use the Orpington since you won't get yellow feet, feathered feet, etc.

See the fuzzy fluffy inherited from the Orpington? Mind you, he is still a juvenile here. I'd suggest using Orpington hens, not roosters. Orpington roos are so BIG. Sold this guy to mind a flock of Orpingtons and Jersey Giants.

Big Bertha the blue Orpington/black Australorp pullet. She looks like a smaller version of an English Orpington (which her mom was) with copious amounts of fluff.

Last edited:
Of the three hens I have, I ended up butchering one. The remaining two are excellent egg laying hens and their production provides well weekly. I'm definitely not focusing on this by far, but the true blue Australorp is a very nice bird indeed.

I have a black Australorp rooster with and English splash orpington hen in one pen and an English Splash Orpington rooster with a black Australorp hen in another pen. I'm hoping to get my line of Blue Australorps started but know this could take five generations or more of selective breeding. I just put my first three eggs in the incubator.

Good luck Coal Creek. It will take a lot chicks and a lot of culling because there are bigger differences between Australorps and Orpingtons than most people realize. Check out the APA Standard of Perfection and you will see what I mean. Chances are they will never look like their brothers and sisters from Australia, but it is fun trying sometimes. If you have questions or get stuck in the future send me a PM.
Kurt

Back
Top Bottom