How many banty roos are OK?

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
I have 2 adult cochin banty roosters in the same coop/run at this time. I have 20-odd chicks (their babies), don't know how many are roos- but I will probably end up keeping a few chicks. When they are grown, I'd like to integrate them. Will I be OK adding 1 or 2 more because they are cochins (really docile)?

1 roo to 10 -12 hens is what is recomended i believe. I have 22 hens and 4 maybe 5 Roos at the moment. They baisically all get along just fine except for 1 of my Polish roos. He is a little bit of a snot but is getting more friendly everyday with all the others so i think i will be keeping him. The others all grew up with eachother and i think that helped. Good luck!!
frow.gif

P.S I have a Cochin Roo aslo and he is such a sweetie!! He takes care of the ladies very well.

Last edited:
gonzo&hispeeps :

I would say it will depend on the ind. roosters personality..

agreed. plus, how many hens in there? roos should DEFINITELY not outnumber the hens.

technically i think it should be 10 hens to 1 roo?
**someone correct me if i'm wrong about the 10 to 1**​

also, i have 1 roo to 8 hens right now, but have 3 chicks sexed as pullets...

i might get like 3 more pullets after that to put in with them, but then i'm building a new coop and getting one roo for that coop. (in addition to about 10-15 hens)

We are keeping 6 roosters and we have 30+ hens with a few more coming. We don't really have a ratio, just as long as we don't keep TOO many roosters. (We actually have 12 cockerels which are ready to go to the freezer, 8 are locked in a separate run with no hens and 4 are with the flock.)

Back
Top Bottom