How many banty roos are OK?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Goose and Fig, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have 2 adult cochin banty roosters in the same coop/run at this time. I have 20-odd chicks (their babies), don't know how many are roos- but I will probably end up keeping a few chicks. When they are grown, I'd like to integrate them. Will I be OK adding 1 or 2 more because they are cochins (really docile)?

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I would say it will depend on the ind. roosters personality..

3. SilverStar

SilverStar Songster

May 4, 2009
    california
    1 roo to 10 -12 hens is what is recomended i believe. I have 22 hens and 4 maybe 5 Roos at the moment. They baisically all get along just fine except for 1 of my Polish roos. He is a little bit of a snot but is getting more friendly everyday with all the others so i think i will be keeping him. The others all grew up with eachother and i think that helped. Good luck!! [​IMG]

P.S I have a Cochin Roo aslo and he is such a sweetie!! He takes care of the ladies very well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. noitulover

noitulover Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    gonzo&hispeeps :

I would say it will depend on the ind. roosters personality..

agreed. plus, how many hens in there? roos should DEFINITELY not outnumber the hens.

technically i think it should be 10 hens to 1 roo?
    **someone correct me if i'm wrong about the 10 to 1**​

5. noitulover

noitulover Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    also, i have 1 roo to 8 hens right now, but have 3 chicks sexed as pullets...

i might get like 3 more pullets after that to put in with them, but then i'm building a new coop and getting one roo for that coop. (in addition to about 10-15 hens)

6. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Songster

We are keeping 6 roosters and we have 30+ hens with a few more coming. We don't really have a ratio, just as long as we don't keep TOO many roosters. (We actually have 12 cockerels which are ready to go to the freezer, 8 are locked in a separate run with no hens and 4 are with the flock.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: