How many birds can fit "comfortably"

I already said my run is rain/snow/wind proof and my zone is 7a/b has not snowed here in a few years... but can snow.

But with that said you're saying, the minimum floor space in the coop. Would max me out at 25, okay thank you. I should build more coops.

For your instance, could they not also just have access to rain/snow coverings outside of their coop to increase the floor number? As they would roost at night and you said they need the floor in rain/snow. Could they have floor not in the coop, covered to count as floor for that number?

Run is 6' tall with bird netting over that and really tall/roosting bars(in the run, not just the coop).
I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania. No clue what zone it is. We get lots of wind, rain (it often rains sideways where I'm at on top of a mountain) and some snow. Used to be way more snow years ago, but that's another discussion.

My run is covered with a metal roof and protected entirely on one side from the prevailing winds by the coop. My pop door is an automatic one that I never bother to mess with now that its set up.

I've never intentionally closed them in the coop with no access to the run past the initial couple of days where I was homing them to their new coop. There were more than a couple days with bad weather this past winter where they chose to stay in the coop on their own, only venturing short trips to the run for food and water.

I suppose I could protect more sides of the run with plastic or something like a lot of other people do. But with how much wind we get I haven't decided on what would work for me, plus there's enough space in my coop for them for the bad weather days.

Have you slaughtered and eaten layer breeds at that age?
I have only ever slaughtered and ate roosters/drakes... never reached max capacity and always kept my roos/cockerels/drakes to a minimum. Why does it taste different?

oh you're referring to them not being meat hardy at that age yet...? of course not. Hence why I want to make a breed that IS meat worthy at that age and a egg layer.

My pekin ducks for example at food ready at 12 weeks. They keep up production with most of my layers. No reason layers can't also be a early meat bird. Hence why it is a future goal of mine to maybe make one....

I really can't stand the practice of pure meat birds. Cornish crosses freak me out.

Last edited:
Well, if you've slaughtered 12-14 week old males, then you know.
Sorry updated my post, while you were posting. Was my update, what you were referring to?

oh you're referring to them not being meat hardy at that age yet?? of course not. Hence why I want to make a breed that IS meat worthy at that age and a egg layer.

My pekin ducks for example at food ready at 12 weeks. They keep up production with most of my layers. No reason layers can't also be a early meat bird. Hence why it is a future goal of mine to maybe make one....

I really can't stand the practice of pure meat birds. Cornish crosses freak me out.
This is what I wrote

Only other thing that wasn't mentioned is ventilation in the coop. More birds = more ventilation. The general guideline on here is minimum 1 sq ft per bird in moderate climates.
They have their own sliding windows/with screens at the top of the coops/roost. So good air flow

Also no one ever answered if you could supplement the lack of floorspace for more (non-coop) ground covered areas for rain/snow.

They would only be locked in the coop at night and even on rain/snow days be able to roam between sheltered areas. I let them freely roam (if they choose too) during rain/storms

They have their own sliding windows/with screens at the top of the coops/roost. So good air flow

Also no one ever answered if you could supplement the lack of floorspace for more (non-coop) ground covered areas for rain/snow.

They would only be locked in the coop at night and even on rain/snow days be able to roam between sheltered areas. I let them freely roam (if they choose too) during rain/storms
Yes, if you are in a mild climate and they are only sleeping and laying eggs in there it should be fine, but I wouldn't push it to much further as behavioral issues are going to arise.

Back
Top Bottom