How many boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irisheyes, Aug 21, 2010.

1. irisheyes

irisheyes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Well we went out tonight and low and behold we had three eggs in one nest, they were a greenish tint so the black chicken is doing her job. I am kinda questioning our nesting space , we have two large nest for 7 hens... Is that adequate or do I need to add a few boxes to the hen house ????????

First Eggs:D[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

You should be fine but if one goes broody you might have a problem [​IMG] If it were me I would add one more but your choice [​IMG]

Matthew

3. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I believe that it is one nest per 4 or 5 hens. So it sounds like you have enough!!
    Congrats on the new eggs - its always exciting to find eggs. [​IMG]

4. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I agree, one per every 4 or 5. You could have one box per hen and they would all lay in one or two of them, though.[​IMG]

5. irisheyes

irisheyes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Thanks to all for the replies , we are so excited....

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:I agree. If one goes broody, that leaves only 1 open nest to lay in. I have 6 for my Yokohamas( 25 birds), 6 for my EE's ( 15 birds ), 3 for my turkeys ( 5 birds ), & 9 for my pigeons ( only 1 breeding pair so far)
    Total of 24 nest boxes for 63 birds. that may be overkill on nest boxes, but they all have a place to lay.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to nest boxes. I have as many as I have room for. The more the merrier for my chickens. I found there is less aggression if extra nest boxes are available. Just my personal preference and may not be a popular one.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I put in 3 nest boxes for 20-ish hens, and i regretted it, mostly because my girls go broody like gangbusters. I have had as many as three setting at one time, and that doesn't leave any room for the non-broodies to lay their eggs. I want to add at least three more boxes in my coop. Better to err on the side of too many than too few.

9. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I have 4 boxes for 6 hens - and they all fight and wait in line for the same 2 boxes [​IMG] Two boxes they NEVER use! Go figure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by