How many breeds can you recognize with certainty?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joebryant, Mar 18, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

If you were to walk into a large pen filled with one pair of every breed of chickens raised in your country, how many breeds could you spot and name with absolute certainty?

I've had bbs Orpingtons for almost a year. After looking at pictures of various breeds lately, it occurred to me that I could not go into such a pen and pick out a pair of them with absolue certainty. I "might" be able to pick out a pair of silkies, but...

2. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    None! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I would know silkies if I saw them, cochins,barred rocks, sebrights, naked necks,and probly wyandottes, but thats about it.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    It honestly depends on the strains.

If it were exhibition...no problems. I could figure out which ones were black orps and which ones were black australorps. But if it's hatchery, I'd be hard pressed to figure out which ones were Black Orps and which where Black Australorps. Depending on how poor they are, the Black Australorps could be mistaken for Black rocks, or even Black Jersey Giants or Javas.

it's just a whole big chicken world out there! [​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Doms, Silkies, Sultons, Cochins an Polish.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    All of them I hope-I'm a judge, we're supposed to know [​IMG]

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:OMG! Now that's IMPRESSIVE! Judges have to know ALL breeds? WOW! I hope you're highly paid.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are hatchery chicks I would be hard pressed to be accurate in some assessments.

9. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    EE as long as I can group "true" araucana and amaraucana in with them. With hatchery stock it is a guessing game on most birds... even barred rocks might be dominique or maran and vise versa.

10. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Silkies, Polish, and maybe RIR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by