How many chickens can I fit in my 16'5" by 16'5" chicken pen?

7x7=49=WAY TOO SMALL a coop for 30 birds!
I'm personally shocked that you have 9 birds in a prefab and they come out of it with both eyes and their scalps intact.

If you truly want to provide a proper home for your birds, you need to provide much more space. Unless you have a fully predator proof run attached to the coop you need to shoot for 4 sq ft per bird in the coop. That is a big coop for 30 birds.
Okay. I guess I'll have to find plans for a bigger coop. I want to base my plans off of the chicken tractor coops from Lumnah Acres. Thank you for all of your help.

You need to look at actual measurements for a coop, if you aren't sure post a link or a photo of the plans and have folks take a look.

What is in the pen? The floor is one half packed dirt/mulch and the other half is concrete. There's a tree in the bottom middle of the pen.

So nothing else in the space, such as clutter for them to interact with? Adding "stuff": https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ is a good idea to keep birds busy and to help provide hiding spaces should conflict arise, but clutter does eat up space, which is why I personally feel the 10 sq ft per bird minimum is too minimal. I think you're already pretty much maxed out for the space you have, because integration of new birds favors space well over minimum.

Back
Top Bottom