How Many Chickens Can I Fit on Half an Acre?

therarebreed

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Eastern Oklahoma
I currently have 23 laying hens, they free range on a half-acre wooded area. How many more hens could I add and there still be plenty of space for them to free-range?

Thanks in advance!

For 1/2 acre with 23 hens you are probably already seeing a signs of excessive poo. If you are looking at complete health for your hens make sure they don't over graze. They love the high protein in new green shoots in spring. But if they eat them all you won't get the sprouting next year.

I would say you are already maxed out at 23. I currently have 16 chickens on 1 & 1/3 acres. Summers are great for them but they tear it up during winter.

Wish ya the best.

Thanks! I don't have a problem with poo yet, but that's what I'm wanting to avoid. I would hate to get too many chickens and then have issues with cleanliness and health...

I tried rotating my chickens this fall, and planted some winter rye. They still don't always have enough in the winter, but it sure did help. I want to try growing chicken fodder in containers this year to help them out!

Thanks again!

I live in North Texas, and had 25 chickens and 3 dogs and 4 ducks running around our back yard 1/2 acre with no problem. I re-homed the 4 ducks to someone who had a 1/2 acre pond, and am told they only come out to eat. LOL
Because of some health issues I am having, I also re-homed 21 of my chickens to the same person who took my ducks. I am going to start with a new batch of chickens this year, and try to keep it between 15 - 17 hens. 3 of my 4 remaining chickens are 1/2 siblings, 2 are roos, one is a hen, who gives me an egg every other day. Only issue is, they are fertile eggs, this is why I need to get new hens for my roos. I want chicks next year (first time in 3 years that we will not have a broody mama sitting on eggs.)
sad.png
I do not want any issues with inter breeding.

My roos are not having any issues with each other as of yet, they are brothers. One is quite a bit bigger than the other, have only seen the Man Dance, no mounting, but one of them is fertilizing the eggs, just not sure who is doing the deed.
gig.gif

The non related hen, is a little black banty, and I worry about her, if Hank is doing the deed, I do not want her injured because of his large size. But then again, she has that little dog syndrome, and I will see her bossing them around, so they keep out of her way when I throw treats out to them.

Back
Top Bottom