How many chickens can i fit?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by muscovy94, Sep 18, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everybody I currently have only 5 silkies and 4 OEGB right now. I would like to get alot more chickens. My coop is 14 x 22. What is the max. amount of birds I can have in that size pen? They free range during the day and are only in the pen at night.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    May I gently suggest that the question, as phrased, tends to get people (and chickens) in trouble and lead to posts in the Diseases and Emergencies section and also subject lines involving smell and other management difficulties.

The better question to ask yourself is probably, how FEW chickens can I restrain myself to [​IMG]

Just sayin',

good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    77 total if you use the 4 sq ft per bird [​IMG]

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I would not get that many. the less crowded that they are the healthier they stay. I would say 50 but less is better.. Also how many can you keep clean and checked often? Do you have a seperate area so the younger hens can be seen by the older but not get to them? If not section off an area inside with wire for that. It is very nice to have. It makes it so much easier to introduce them and prevents them from getting picked on as much. Right now I have one big coop and a smaller one for that purpose. Gloria Jean

5. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:Wow I'm liking that number lol!!!! [​IMG]

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll tell you what, that many makes a big mess, they smell more and they wind up sick or injured and it's hard to keep track of symptoms and such. We had nearly that many when I was in high school, and it took a LOT of time. We lost quite a few because we didn't have enough isolation pens, and couldn't seperate them from each other properly when there were injuries and fights etc.

Past a certain number (which is a flexable fulcrum really) chickens become a nearly full time job.

We had lots of eggs to sell, but because we weren't prepared, (and back then (yes I'm old) there was no internet or BYC! **gasp**) we lost a lot to predators and illnes, and even chickanableism. We were in no way prepared! There were many hard lessons to learn the first year... ok, and a few more the second year!

I seriously advise you to plan ahead for isolation pens, brooder pens, and seperate secitons for agressive hens and roos, and extra timid hens or roos. With a large number of birds you can have ALL of THE ABOVE at any given time!

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying plan ahead if you choose to.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  7. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not suggesting this as a formula you should use, but...

I have 2 structures, each one has an 8' 2x4 perch for them to roost on. I have 23 chickens and they would all like to fit on one perch but they can't. The other night I did my evening head count/lockup and there were 16 on one 2x4! Apparently 1 chicken per 6 inches of perch can work in a pinch! Usually they distribute themselves more evenly between the 2 houses.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I hope you are prepared to care for 77 birds. I have 40 birds and have my hands full. You will need more feeders and waterers and sanitation will be another issue and a whole lot more poop.

9. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:I agree, too. Most of the BYC addicts will say, "yeehaw!! The more the merrier!!" But you really need to know your limits.

But say you really really want lots of birds, what about if you just make several smaller pens instead of one great big one? You could make quite a little chicken park out of it, with space between the different coops and maybe a central shed where you could keep your cleaning equipment, water hose, feed, and so forth. You could really get completely out of hand with something like that and have several different varieties. . . .it really is tempting. . . .hmmm. . . .I need to move to the country now. . . . . [​IMG]

10. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    i have 33 in a 8by 4 but they freerange all day and in the coop theres 4 8foot long perches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by