How many chickens can I have in a 6X10 ft coop?

That's a really cute coop/run. looks like it has all the bells and whistles. I wish I had it for my bantams....silkies....the ones I'm wishing I had
wink.png

If you can possibly swing it, you will thank yourself for making the run longer. I have four birds. Their run is 5 x 10 which includes the space under their little upstairs like coop. Their coop is about 3.5 X 5. I wish both were bigger. Not because I'm going to be adding more birds, but because I had trouble getting enough ventilation plus roosts etc in the coop space and just because I would like them to have more running around room in the run, because that is where they are most of the time. Food for thought. Money was an issue for me too, but if I could do it again I would make it bigger. It sounds like your plans for the coop part will be large enough for 6 birds to roost comfortably.

Don't push your luck with too many animals, and do not get any roosters. South Bend has this stupid 5 acre ordinance in the city limits. I am in the county and I still will not get any roosters, because if you upset your neighbors, they will make your life miserable. Keep your neighbors happy and you should not have any problems. Good luck

I am thinking the entire structure will be about 6X10 with the coop being 6X4 or so. However I need to evaluate my supplies and see what more I can scrounge up
smile.png
. I am trying to make it as close to free as I can. The chickens will probably be in the run about half the time and in a movable fenced area the rest of the time. I am trying to figure out how to create a pen that I can move around the yard a few times a day that will keep the neighbors dogs away. If there were no dogs I'd let them free range but as it is I don't want a bunch of dog chewed chickens
sad.png
. I was thinking we would have about 6 birds. We are also doing a bee hive in the spring, that should be interesting too! Husband wants to get 2 goats but I think thats going too far. We live in city limits, about 2 houses away from the country on 1 acre. The neighbors probably won't care about chickens but goats will probably push them over the edge!

6'x10' sounds great and free is even better, lol. As for the portable fenced area, check out this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=227378&p=1

It's got some great movable fenced areas that might work for you. Goats huh? They are cute and fun, but a lot of work, lol. Not to mention that they eat everything that isn't tied down. They love, love, love chicken feed so you have to be careful about that. I'm not trying to deter you from getting them, just making you aware of some issues. I'm sure if you got the goats, chickens, and bees that you'd have a great set up (not to mention eggs, honey, and goats milk, lol)! Good luck hun and keep us posted.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom