How many chickens can I put here?

I want to clarify to everyone here that I am not in control of whether or not to expand the run. I've tried. Really hard. It's not a question if I'm willing to expand it.

Right, but since that's not an option, you need to work within the confines of the space you have. Which means if there's conflict in the flock with new additions, birds need to go (otherwise all the advice is, expand the run). Are you ok with that?

I guess the hard question you really should be asking yourself is, if you add new ones and it causes too many issues, are you willing to rehome multiple birds in order to solve it, since expanding isn't an option?
I hadn't even thought of that. That might have just killed this whole plan, because it would be extremely difficult for me to rehome chicks that I've hand raised.......it would be different, I suppose, if I got started pullets or adult hens.

Does anyone have ideas on what I could do if I were to order extra chicks, and only keep 2?
I could see if I could arrange to get a couple of CX and raise them for someone to butcher.

Does anyone have ideas on what I could do if I were to order extra chicks, and only keep 2?
I could see if I could arrange to get a couple of CX and raise them for someone to butcher.

Some hatcheries will not ship CX with laying breeds in the same box. Best to make ALL the arrangements and check into it all before going that route.

Some hatcheries will not ship CX with laying breeds in the same box. Best to make ALL the arrangements and check into it all before going that route.
Don't worry- everything is planned approximately 23049230 years before it happens here. If it won't work, then I'll know before I order them.

Back
Top Bottom