How many chickens can my coop hold?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zzguy, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    What is the max amount of chickens that a 4x8 coop with 3 nesting boxes and about a 10x10 ft. run hold?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

8-10

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Depends on the size of the chickens. 8 heavy Breeds,

10 Standard breeds (ie, leghorn, red sexlinks something in the 6 lb or less range I'd say)

15 bantams

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It also depends on if they are going to be able to free-range or have a big outside run. I probably technically have always had too many per square foot, but since they aren't in the coop 24/7 it works out.

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    how about a 6 by 8 coop with three nest boxes, and 14 by 12 run? Dont mean to steal your post, but i have been wondering the same thing.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I would not figure in the run size, only the coop size unless the chickens can be in both at all times. I would never put more 6 birds in a 4x8 because there are days or sometimes weeks in the winter when the chickens cannot get outside because of the weather. It is always better to have to much room than not enough. Feather picking can start because of bordom and too little space.

7. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I have 8 X 12 covered pens, some full size, some half size for bantams.
    Some have coops, some don't but have plastic around to protect from cold and wind.
    My bantam pens have 2, 4, and one has 5 chickens.
    My standard pens have 4 BR's, 6(4 jg's, 2 red stars), and I have one with 5 japanese and 5 polish, so far no problems as they have been together since hatch but are next on the list to separate and put in a permanent fixture.
    Anyway, all my chickens seem very content with their housing and I credit this to keepint the correct #'s so as not to overcrowd them.
    Mine are in covered pens and even the ones with coops have open access from coop to run.
    Space and #'s are the keys to having healthy chickens.
    Individual breed and size are very important to determining how many and how much space, so it really depends on what you are planning on keeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by