How many chickens can this coop hold?

Quote:
.... Hopefully not.

With them not being able to roost, one partially blind and the other with leg problems, they most certainly will become the target of any healthy newcomer. That's the unfortunate nature of chickens, they pick on the weak and unable.

You've asked our opinion, we've given it. Good luck.

X2

If they don't use the roost, I'd take it out. If they can be out all day and only sleep at night I would think you could have 3-4 chickens. If they are cooped up all winter, I wouldn't put more then two girls in there. I would also take the food and water out.

I only bring my waterer in the coop when it starts to freeze, which will be very soon! I need to buy a plastic tray to put underneath, so no chips get wet. My chickens will not roost on a roost either. We built shelves for them to roost on. We put a built in feeder under the roost/shelf. The waterer will go next to the food when I bring it in the coop. I'm not sure if it snows where your at, but a lot of people wrap their runs in plastic. We did for the extra room, I'm disabled, so I can't shovel snow to clear out of their run. Our coop was big enough, but tighter spaces tend to make them peck and pull each other's back end feathers(that's even with more then required space).

Quote:
So they stay in the pen - you do no free ranging? If the ducks stay inside with them, I'd probably stick with what you have (appears to be 4), since it appears to be working. You could probably house 5 birds in there (the main pen - not the little housing area), but it's really hard to introduce a single bird into a flock. Adding a roost in that pen would help with boredom issues for your chickens...a nice thick branch or something for them to "play" on and/or get some exercise.

Quote:
Ok thanks... I will use that tray under the waterer method, because it keeps spilling.
barnie.gif

Quote:
So they stay in the pen - you do no free ranging? If the ducks stay inside with them, I'd probably stick with what you have (appears to be 4), since it appears to be working. You could probably house 5 birds in there (the main pen - not the little housing area), but it's really hard to introduce a single bird into a flock. Adding a roost in that pen would help with boredom issues for your chickens...a nice thick branch or something for them to "play" on and/or get some exercise.

Well they do very little free ranging as some neighbors don't really approve of them (and I want nice neighbors) plus there are too many stray and feral cats around here as well as loose dogs... I will let them out but only a couple at a time and only for a short period as I don't trust the strays or people (hence the lock on the door). I did build one small roost thats 2 feet long, at what height should I put a bigger roost? and what about nesting boxes?

Oh, I didn't see a roost - sorry. Your roosts can be any height, depending on how well your breed of chicken can fly. My orps and silkies aren't going to make it up onto a roost any higher than 2 ft. or so without a ladder. My EEs and d'uccles could hop/fly up several feet. So it really depends on your birds. And unless you want to build a nestbox off the far end of your little housing area, then I'd just stick a small plastic tub (maybe 12x12 or 12x14) in the corner of the little housing - unless your ducks need a nest too. I'm not experienced in duck nests, so you might need to post under that section to get help with that...

Well you can't see the roost in the picture because the picture is from when I got my leghorns and that was september... and I built the little roost 2 weeks ago... what else do chickens like to 'play' on? I can't have anything on the ground because the ducks need all the floor space. Maybe a secod floor by the chicken side thats 6ft off the ground? They already go on top of their house or would that be too high to get down?

I have several roosts at different heights, They can jump/fly from one to the next. The more dominant ones use the topmost one.
Just think like a caged animal, what would amuse you?
Maybe a small tree, or a few branches to climb around on...

Back
Top Bottom