How many chickens can this coop hold?

I used to worry about them having food/water in the coop.
They don't need it, as long as you let them out early enough to have breakfast. And it just attracts other things to the coop at night.
As long as they aren't living in it full time, I would try to jam a few more in there.
Winter's coming, they would keep warmer. But if they get bored or stressed, the first thing they will do is pick on each other.
Tell us about the disabled part....

Quote:
They go out at around 9 AM in the winter and 5 PM at dusk. They stay out all day. My 2 girls right now cuddle together and when they do it looks like there could be room for 5 birds in the coop, if 2 or 3 were on the roosts and maybe a few might sleep in the nesting boxes.

The problem isn't how many can fit in at night when they're snuggling together on the roost. The problem is what happens when it's snowing for days on end and they don't go out of the coop? Then they're beak to butt or butt to butt, etc, for hours or days at a time. It's stressful for them. They may peck at each other. Also because your nest boxes are open, they can view the eggs and may start eating them if they're bored and confined.

We let them out in the snow because their run is covered. The 2 i have now don't roost, one has a broken leg and one is partially blind so they probably won't fight other birds.

Quote:
.... Hopefully not.

With them not being able to roost, one partially blind and the other with leg problems, they most certainly will become the target of any healthy newcomer. That's the unfortunate nature of chickens, they pick on the weak and unable.

You've asked our opinion, we've given it. Good luck.

Because your two birds have physcial issues, I would leave plenty of space per bird. I would certainly NOT recommend bringing in three new birds. Not only will your space be tighter, but the three newbies outnumber the two disabled birds. Silkies are usually very mild mannered/gentle, so maybe two silkies if you're set on adding more to that coop.

OK...its 12 feet long, 8 feet tall in the front 6 in the back, and about 4.5 feet wide. The little house on the left is for my 2 ducks, and the house of the right is 4.5 x 2 x 2 and it currently has no door so they can let themselves out ( I put them in at night). The front is all wired off because I live in the city and they can't really free range. I only have one small roost for them and no nexting boxes (yet)... what do you think?
109082_dsc05090.jpg

Quote:
.... Hopefully not.

With them not being able to roost, one partially blind and the other with leg problems, they most certainly will become the target of any healthy newcomer. That's the unfortunate nature of chickens, they pick on the weak and unable.

You've asked our opinion, we've given it. Good luck.

My chickens are pretty tough, they came from a place with 12 other chickens, including 2 roosters. They stood up for themselves pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom