How many chickens can this hold?

Colorado for me also. Howdy.

On the link you provided there is another one called the cape cod. Looks larger, and is less cost.
There are a ton of sites with cool plans on them.
If you know someone with basic building tools and ability I am sure you can do it.
IMO the size of the coop will have a lot to do with how much outside time they will have. Mine is going to be our converted 8x8 shed and hubby will be getting a new shed. Home Depot kit less than 700 dollars minus shingles, paint and flooring. Total for the shed will end up about 900 for the 10x10. Also Lowes sells the display sheds already assembled just smaller than the actual one. Saw one up here for 500 with flooring and shingles for 500.

Hensandchickscolorado, I'm in Littleton! I don't even have chickens or a coop yet (end of June is when we're getting our chicks!) but I'm just researching as much as I can. I'm interest to hear what and how people around our area are doing and picking up tips and tricks where ever I can!

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many people on here have learned they really can build something when they needed a coop and couldn't afford many hundreds of dollars. You can buy Building Chicken Coops for Dummies in our store, or maybe check it out at your library. The idea of a shed on sale at Lowes, etc. has worked well for lots of folks.

Good luck!

The dimensions of the total coop are listed as 78"x30"wide x 41" high. That is 6 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet for area - which includes the nest box sticking off the end I bet. And less than 3 1/2 feet tall. The little coop area is about 2 foot by 2 1/2 foot or 5 square feet, nest box would add 2.5 square feet. (My guesses as to size from photo). With 5 square feet (7.5 if counting nest box) inside the building and less than 14 square feet in the coop area, it would only be big enough for 1 chicken, I think.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hello!! What kind of coop will you get? Maybe we can swap some tips and/or some chicken-coop-building labor!

You will fall in love...our four chicks are so cute!!!

My husband and his architect buddy are going to build one for me. I was going through all the coop pics on here and am loving the style and function of this one...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=66725-wichita-cabin-coop

Of course cost might not permit ours to look just like this but as long as it looks nice enough that my neighbors don't hate us. I'm hoping they can make few modifications for me (like insulation, larger run, poop board, etc). How long have you had your chicks for? I'm in need of people to swap tips with and the closer the better, I've never been around chickens, everything I know I've learned online!

I'm Kira by the way!

you can build a relatively nice coop yourself for way less than that i just built a couple to house 35 hens cost me around 150 bucks in material and a day to build it its not the fanciest looking coop but it works and there happy if i can build something anyone can there are plenty plans around you can go by some tell you the material you will need and the steps to build it

Quote:
Why not trying a post on your local craigs list for a handyman to build a garden shed? A simple coop could be done in a day and there a lot of people looking for extra money. Just an idea. I am sure you could handle the painting. There a ton of plans, use the search feature and look up the purina coop. I based mine on that and just increased it to 4x6. You will probably spend $300-600, depending on size, materials, etc. Inwill see if I can find the link.

Back
Top Bottom